Skip to main content
Topic: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum (Read 164 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Picked up a new off season toy recently.

It's a Savage 112 Target Magnum, single shot in .338 Lapua Magnum.

It's a fairly massive piece of steel. Wieghs in at about 15# with scope and shoots nice at that weight with the factory brake.

I'm not a big guy and I don't tolerate sharp recoil well but this thing has a steady firm push that allows me to shoot 30-40 round sessions with NO discomfort at all and not even a hint of a sore shoulder the next day.

I'm impressed with it. It was a shot show display model that I got about $300 off on.

Dave

Re: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Reply #1
A man's rifle !! ;)

Now about that 30/40 round session, and not feeling any
discomfort ??  You may have to feed your wallet a few Motrin !!  :D

Scope decent enough to take it out to a mile ??
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #2
You finally pulled the "trigger" on the 338 LM
You have been talking about getting one for a while.
Is this just a long range toy or is their a purpose to buying it?

Reply #3
A man's rifle !! ;)

Now about that 30/40 round session, and not feeling any
discomfort ??  You may have to feed your wallet a few Motrin !!  :D

Scope decent enough to take it out to a mile ??

I'd hate to feed it store bought ammo no doubt  :o I think the Golden Eagle is up to a mile. I've been glass shopping lately though and I'd like to throw down for a Nightforce Comp 15-55 but I know guys who test them for POA stability regularly and don't like what they're seeing. If Vortex would step their glass up a notch on the GE there would not be a better scope IMHO. The same guys who regularly test scopes have tested dozens of the GE's and never found one yet that won't hold,

I've heard good things about the new Sightron 10-50s with the HD glass but their reticle choices are lacking IMHO.
Dave

Reply #4
You finally pulled the "trigger" on the 338 LM
You have been talking about getting one for a while.
Is this just a long range toy or is their a purpose to buying it?

Mostly a toy but I may take it to the 2000 yard ELR match in MT next summer if I can fit it in.
Dave

Reply #5
I'll post up some more pics this evening when I have better internet but 88g of H4831SC behind a 250 SMK has been my barrel break in / brass fireforming load at -.020 off

I haven't gone crazy tuning it but that load will keep them touching at 100 and about .3-.4 MOA at 300 .6 at 730 and 1000 with less than 160 rounds on the barrel.

At 200 rounds I'll have all my brass fireformed and will start tuning the 250 Berger OTM Hybrids.
Dave

Reply #6
I've been glass shopping lately though and I'd like to throw down for a Nightforce Comp 15-55 but I know guys who test them for POA stability regularly and don't like what they're seeing. If Vortex would step their glass up a notch on the GE there would not be a better scope IMHO. The same guys who regularly test scopes have tested dozens of the GE's and never found one yet that won't hold,

I would'nt listen to those testers.  I see what's actually going on at
the big events, and search up the equipment lists. Brux and Night
Force have been married at the hip. You walk down the row of 32
benches at Ridgway, half will be sporting Night Force. In the Masters
section it's a toss between March and Night Force. You'll see Vortex
salted around, but honestly these shooters are on a budget....Snipers
Hide had a thread going about  Vortex failing at a major event. True or
not, any scope will get bad publicity.....Like is said often ; 'Buy the best
glass you can afford".  I would rather buy the best glass I can't afford !!

That .338 with a Schmidt and Bendover would be nice !!  LOL
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #7
More pics as promised.

First one is the first 30 out of the gun across the top then later I put the ladder with the colored triangles to the lower left.

Second is a primer comparison with about 80-100 rounds on the barrel.

Third is my youngest son with a 5" three shot group at 735 yards first time ever shooting a big gun.

Fourth is my 8" 1000 yard group. Had a l to r wind that let off on shots 4 & 5, 1-3 are together low & right with no vertical.

The two steel groups were leftover sighter foulers at 88g with a 260 primer and a 250 SMK
Dave

Reply #8
Got my T7 mounted up finally and tumbled some brass.
Dave

Reply #9
@Fuj

I agree with everything you're saying regarding better glass except the part about ignoring the testers.

I personally know these guys doing the testing and have personally watched some of the tests and personally know one of the guys building the testing mount.

There is a problem and NO brand of scope is immune to POA shift but not every scope within the model. Some shift some don't hence the need to test. The most common fault is reticle shift and while a lot of talk gets directed at the Nightforce Comp they are certainly not alone. Nightforce scopes are probably the most common scope in BR therefore there are more of them to go wrong. On the faulty scopes either the reticle moves on the first and or second shot then settles or it moves after a zoom or click adjustment then takes a shot or two to settle. I don't think it's as common as reported but to pretend it doesn't exist doesn't mean it's not so.

There are very few people testing scopes so there is also a whole lot of people blaming their bad shooting, handloading, bench manners etc.on the scope.

Either way I'll have a NF, March or Kahles by spring.
Dave

Reply #10
Dave, nice shooting with a factory rifle.  I've had my eye on the 112 for awhile and seeing your results only makes it more tempting.  Just can't get past the cost to feed the beast.......but once I have a place to shoot past 1000 yards that will probably go away.
Bob

Reply #11
Dave, nice shooting with a factory rifle.  I've had my eye on the 112 for awhile and seeing your results only makes it more tempting.  Just can't get past the cost to feed the beast.......but once I have a place to shoot past 1000 yards that will probably go away.

I lucked out on the brass at 80 cents apiece on Midway clearance I only wish I'd bought more. 32 cents per round for powder, 60 cents per bullet and a nickel for a primer keeps it under a dollar a shot not counting the brass.

I cashed in a Sierra certificate off a prize table for the first 150 bullets and I've been shooting an 8# jug of H4831sc that I haven't touched in years so I'm getting by pretty cheap so far.

One thing for sure it's big fun every time you squeeze the trigger especially on steel.
Dave

Reply #12
Hey Dave, are you saying that the 250 grainers have a tad more bang on steel
than your 103g Vapor trails?   ;)

Reply #13
Hey Dave, are you saying that the 250 grainers have a tad more bang on steel
than your 103g Vapor trails?   ;)

Let's just say your chains your steel hangs on need to be bolted not welded.
Dave

Reply #14
It better be some pretty darn tough steel too. A 200+ gr bullet mows off T-posts like a blade of grass 😊