Reply #15
Best life expectancy I've found so far. Fire hose and rail road
iron. Weak link is now the grade 8 bolts.  The nose on the rail
survived a 300 win Mag. Just a light dent at 300 yards. Good Ol'
Pa. Bessemer Steel.  ;)
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Re: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Reply #16
I've got the same rifle and I agree it is a hoot to shoot. I'm using H1000 and 300 OTM Berger's. If I do my part it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at a 1,000 yards. I got in on the Midway brass deal as well and I should have bought more.

I'm looking to upgrade my glass too. Hopefully find a deal over the holidays.

I picked up a plate of plow steel at Ag Supply for under $100  that measures 20 X 22. At 500 yards it does ok. I did get some dimples at 300 yards though.
IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.

Reply #17
I've got the same rifle and I agree it is a hoot to shoot. I'm using H1000 and 300 OTM Berger's. If I do my part it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at a 1,000 yards. I got in on the Midway brass deal as well and I should have bought more.

I'm looking to upgrade my glass too. Hopefully find a deal over the holidays.

I picked up a plate of plow steel at Ag Supply for under $100  that measures 20 X 22. At 500 yards it does ok. I did get some dimples at 300 yards though.

I've got about 8# each of H1000 & Retumbo but I'm going to hold off shooting it until it starts showing up on the shelves again. The H4831sc is shooting very well and is available.

What glass are you using and what are you looking to upgrade to? 
Dave

Reply #18
I've got about 8# each of H1000 & Retumbo but I'm going to hold off shooting it until it starts showing up on the shelves again. The H4831sc is shooting very well and is available.

What glass are you using and what are you looking to upgrade to? 

I had an older model Vortex PST laying around and I wanted to see how it performed on this "beast" and surprisingly it performs flawlessly. If i can convince the Bride that I need another NF or one of the higher end Vortex scopes then so be it. I came across a good deal on a used Vortex GE but not sure on how they perform. Like everything else out there, a lot of mixed reviews.

I've seen both H1000 and Retumbo in the local shops (NC)????
IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.

Reply #19
I had an older model Vortex PST laying around and I wanted to see how it performed on this "beast" and surprisingly it performs flawlessly. If i can convince the Bride that I need another NF or one of the higher end Vortex scopes then so be it. I came across a good deal on a used Vortex GE but not sure on how they perform. Like everything else out there, a lot of mixed reviews.

I've seen both H1000 and Retumbo in the local shops (NC)????

I've got 3 of the Vortex GEs, they're a great scope at a very good price but honestly I've never ran one on anything bigger than a 6.5-284 until putting one on the .338 recently. Before I had a PST on it.

The GEs are very good scopes but they're not quite as good in the glass department as say other higher end scopes but not excessively less either. In good air I can easily find the X on IBS 600 & 1000 yard target. At 600 yards in decent air I can make out 6mm holes in the white.

Sure there are better scopes out there but when considering magnification, capability, tracking, glass, dependability and warranty theres not a better value out there. The Nightforce BR 12-42 is as good or better but lacks side parralax and is 42x vs 60x, it's the only scope comparable in the price point IMHO

Anything under $1,100 on a good used GE with the ERC 1 reticle is a buy.
Dave

Reply #20
Midway has the Lapua brass on sale again. $80.00/100

Reply #22
I inched closer to owning a 338 LM.....just bought some brass and a Collet Die from Midway.
Bob

Reply #23
You'll love it! I bought another 100 pieces of brass the other day.
Dave

Reply #24
I made up my mind that this is the direction I'm going to go.  

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57562

My local gun store can get this for me for less than $1700 which seems like a reasonable price.  It has a 30" barrel which is a big plus in my mind.  It doesn't seem to be in stock at his suppliers so he is going to keep pinging them and let me know when he can get one.  The shop has been good to me so I would like to support him if possible....especially here in CA...their life must be miserable.  So not sure when but unless something else pops up, this is it.
Bob

Reply #25
sweet looking rifle bob...
Grant

Reply #26
Yeah it is nice, I wanted the single shot though for the rigid action in case I wanted to really screw a big barrel on it someday.
Dave

Reply #27
 "in case I wanted to really screw a big barrel on it someday."
I like that Dave, what's bigger that's rolling around in your head now?? (Cheytac? elephant gun? lol)
+1 on the Savage single shot. Strong action and nice price.
If I was looking to get into a 338LM, that's the one I'd get also.

Reply #28
No plans for now but overall I'm unimpressed with the recoil and wouldn't be afraid to try something bigger.
Dave

Reply #29
Dave and Ranger, I also favor the single shot target actions....I have 4.  This rifle was going to be mainly for shooting steel out beyond 1000 yards so I was willing to give that up.  Actually, the one attribute of the 110 actions that I don't like is that they only accept the small shank barrels.  I would have liked using a large shank instead.  As with many parts of life, there are trade-offs to be made.
Bob