Skip to main content
Topic: Wish me luck. (Read 181 times) previous topic - next topic

Wish me luck.

Going hunting in 4 days.  Using my Stealth, I think I have everything ready to go. Unfortunately this hunt is for antler less Mule Deer, but its a double tag so looking forward to my first kills with it and get some great food out of them. Nine days from now it will be Whitetail bucks. Going to be shooting Berger 140VLD Hunters. Long shots will also be possible as it in an awesome 11x9 km pasture with tons of hills, and natural prairie.

Re: Wish me luck.

Reply #1
Going hunting in 4 days.  Using my Stealth, I think I have everything ready to go. Unfortunately this hunt is for antler less Mule Deer, but its a double tag so looking forward to my first kills with it and get some great food out of them. Nine days from now it will be Whitetail bucks. Going to be shooting Berger 140VLD Hunters. Long shots will also be possible as it in an awesome 11x9 km pasture with tons of hills, and natural prairie.

Where at? Good luck!
Dave

Reply #2
Have a safe & successful hunt..
... rule #9 ...

Reply #3
Go gettum Leadhammer, nothing sounds better than fresh venison chops fried in bacon grease with onions & mushrooms!(w/salt & pepper)😁
Our MN season starts Saturday, waited all year for it.
Best of luck on your hunt,
Randy 
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
Thanks y’all.
It’s up here in South Central Saskatchewan. Near Elbow Sask

Reply #5
Elbow Saskatchewan to Powers Lake ND 4 h 40 min (445.4 km) via SK-39 S

So close but a world away LOL
Dave

Reply #6
Not too far.

Reply #7
Just to update. I got out hunting again yesterday.  Managed to get both tags filled.  Decent sized does.( 2 doe draw tag ) Man I sure am sore and tired from walking up and down the hills in the pasture though. Sucks being old. lol
I was hoping for a bit longer range shots but my hunting partner and I don't have a quality spotting scope and we saw tons of spiker bucks out there, probably 30ish. Makes it real hard to see a 3" spike against the bushes. Anyway I was using my Stealth, with 140 VLD hunters @2710fps.  The first deer was hanging out with a moose, and ran past me and stopped at 125 yards, shot it there but it looked as though it would need another round to finish it, ( turned out it did not need it ) so I did a head shot and it was dead right there.
The second doe was at 200 yards and made a good shot on it and it stumbled 10 ft and was finished. 
I ended up losing 2 shoulders from the bullet fragmenting.  One of the bullets did not exit, it hit a rib square on, the other bullet went between  the rib and went out the other side. I guess the bullets worked well but made a bit more mess than I had hoped.
At least it was a good day, 20 hours from up, to being in bed, over 20,000 steps in the hills, and great hunting weather with only a small wind. Was a good day.  Now if my legs and ass would quit being sore lol.

Reply #8
Good to hear of your success hammer! Those sore muscles will just be a distant mild memory when you are chowing down on that good venison. 😊

Congrats on two good kills.

Reply #9
Thanks, time to get them processed tomorrow morning, as it's supposed to warm up in the afternoon. Better sharpen my knife up!

Reply #10
Congrats!
Dave

Reply #11
Sounds like a great hunt to me.  Congrats on your venison collecting and put some of the packages of chops on the bottom of the freezer to keep you from eating all the chops first! 😁
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #12
Congrats on a safe/successful hunt. 
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #13
Well done. The sore muscles let you know your alive.

Reply #14
Muscles are almost back to normal tonight. Need to find a nice White tail buck now.