Skip to main content
Topic: Which hunting bullet to use? (Read 977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Which hunting bullet to use?

Reply #15
143 Hornady ELD-X
The ELD-M's are target rounds.
See you at the range.

Reply #16
Just returned from south Texas.  Bergers loaded by Copper Creek ruled.  Wife and step-daughter slinging 130 VLD-H.  I was using 140 Berger Elite Hunter.  Went 4-4 on whitetails and 1-1 on swine.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #17
I just loaded up a 10 shot ladder test with the 130 vld hunters for my tikka lite... had good luck in the past with that bullet anchoring whitetail...couple weeks till gun season comes in here so should have them sorted out in plenty of time...
Grant

Reply #18
bang-flop    DRT

Reply #20
Berger VLD Hunter

Most important part of DRT is bullet placement.

Reply #21
Berger VLD Hunter

Most important part of DRT is bullet placement.

Where do you consider the best placement for these bullets? I would lean towards a high shoulder shot with them based off some not great results with a few low center mass heart / lung shots.
Dave

Reply #22
2 years ago I killed a doe with the 130 gr. vld hunting bullet... put it right in the boiler room and it damn near knocked it off its feet... about 125 yards... it tried to get its balance and fell over dead before it could... its heart and part of its lungs were liquified... it didn't exit completely but one little piece of the bullet was stuck in the far side skin...
Grant

Reply #23
It's interesting how we all can get different results and form different opinions with the same bullets and seemingly similar shots.

3 or 4 years ago I filled a buck with 140 VLD hunters and he just kept walking on then finally laid down and died. Low boiler room shots and his lower lungs and upper heart were vaporized. The bullets dumped their energy in the deer a several fragments were found under the skin on the off side.

Last year I had a nice buck run about 80 yards with a 143 ELD X leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow. Bullet made a pass through with a nice exit wound but did not anchor him in his tracks.
Dave

Reply #24
Natural for all of us to develop hard core opinions based on our own personal experiences.  Unfortunately, all the facts associated with our observations are frequently not considered, and bullet performance is one of the best examples. A hunter’s determination of bullet performance is usually based on a DRT or, “ ran 100 yards and disappeared“, response to a well placed bullet.

Most prey animals have a phenomenal ability to rapidly release massive amounts of adrenaline and instantly super saturate their brain with oxygen. Animals don’t die until brain O2 is depleted.  Cape buffalo are considered by most professional African hunters to be the most dangerous animals on the continent. That’s partially due to their inherent destructive capabilities, but mainly because of the unending live accounts of total vital organ destruction by bullets with no seeming effect on the animal’s ability for extended “fight”or “flight”. 

Deer aren’t Cape buffalo but their life depends on their ability to escape. Using the same bullet, charge, and distance - A well placed heart shot on a quiet grazing deer is generally more likely to produce a DRT response than the same shot on an alert or panicked deer, even though “TRUE”  bullet performance was the same in each circumstance.

Reply #25
Just returned from south Texas.  Bergers loaded by Copper Creek ruled.  Wife and step-daughter slinging 130 VLD-H.  I was using 140 Berger Elite Hunter.  Went 4-4 on whitetails and 1-1 on swine.

Hows the terminal performance on these at lower velocities such as creed? Shot them in some Weatherby's running 33-3400 inside 100 and it kills them for sure, blood shot lots of meat I started shooting little harder bullets in those calibers.

I've got some copper creek for 6.5prc that really shoot well - I haven't shot anything with them yet but they sure print well on paper. I was wondering if you get under 3k fps if the damage would be less. I've noticed that shooting ballistic tips out of my 308 ar - extremely accurate and don't come apart as bad again like shooting them in magnum rounds.

Reply #26
txaggie,
Complete pass throughs on all deer but the buck my stepdaughter shot.  All behind the shoulder.  Hunt was filmed and will be an episode on Wildlifers next year.  The footage of my wife's kill was awesome.  She slammed him behind the right shoulder.  He turned and ran down a tree line and you could see the blood pumping out of the exit hole, left side behind the shoulder. He started to wobble then nose planted and flipped. Done. Cameraman said most of that will be edited.  Don't want to upset the chirren'.
Have complete confidence with Berger 130's and 140's on deer in open country.  Still playing with 140 AB's and 130 Scirocco's .  Have a old Rem 700 left hand in 7  mag that is a crusher with 150 Scirocco's.

Reply #27
Personally, I prefer a bullet that's made for hunting first with match grade accuracy second. The Hornady SSTs are a great example, and can be very accurate. With the mechanical Interlock pioneered by their bullets of that name, bonding or exotic types become superfluous. SSTs nor Interlocks will fail to do their job, and, oh yeah, they don't come with a fancy price either! ;)

Reply #28
We went 3 for three on deer the last few days.

I was shooting a 6.5-284 using 143 eldx handloads.
My first shot at 345 yards was in the lower neck. He was standing dead bleeding out but I went ahead and put another in his spine and dropped him right there as it was getting dark and wanted to 100% anchor him.

Youngest son shooting a 6 Creedmoor with factory precision Hunter 103s,  1 90 yard shot at the base the skull from behind DRT.

Middle son shooting a .308 with factory SST 150s high shoulder spine shot at 100 DRT

I'd say that's a pretty good testimonial for Hornady ammo and bullets.
Dave

Reply #29
Headed for TN tomorrow.  Rifle opened yesterday.  Will be carrying the left hand X Bolt loaded with 156 Bergers.  Come back in a week and pack up for Texas.  After that I will be done and hopefully return to being a contributing citizen. The Collier was shooting tee tiny groups with ELD-X.  That is the primary stick and load I will carry.  Back up will be the Browning.  If a firing pin can break or a scope get sheared off the gun during a spill, I'm your man.  Learned a thing or two in the Army.