Skip to main content
Topic: The a-tip (Read 834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The a-tip

Reply #30
Also, the heavier weight at the same MV will contribute to this effect.  But great results and a great way to start the day.
Bob

Reply #31
Little update on the 153 gr. Atips in the 6.5x284.. this gun my be my favorite.. its been a hammer ever since i put it together.. and seems to be getting better with age.. was told my barrel would be toast in 7 or 800 rounds but thats just not the case.. after 750 or so rounds it shows very little fire cracking and very little throat erosion and i have pushe it hard from the beginning.. one thing i havnt done is let the barrel get super hot.. any way the atips are shooting great in it for me.. a couple 3 shot groups at 430 yards with a 10 mph wind at my back.. one about 3/4 inch and one at a inch.. im the limiting factor as to how good this thing could shoot..
Grant

Reply #32
Grant, any conclusions regarding the A-tip?  Are they better than other bullet's you've used.  I have some 153g on order from Powder Valley and my initial tests made we want to order some more and see how they would do in a 1000yd match.  I've been shooting the 110g in the 6mm CM and I didn't see much benefit over the Berger or the Barts.  
Bob

Reply #33
Bob i would like to tell you their not any better than the 147 eldm but the truth is i think they are.. are they worth that extra money i cant answer that.. im going to try some 156 elite hunters in this and a 6.5 prc im working on.. if they shoot as good as the atips i will stick with the bergers.. the uniformity of the atips are impressive to me.. hornady knocks 20 dollars a box off of them and i would buy a bunch of them.. lol
Grant

Reply #34
I would think the only way to give the A tips a fair shake would be to test them at least 600yards out but the real test would be out to 1000 off a rest and rear bag with a stock capable of riding and tracking the bags. I've been shooting off the Caldwell's lately and it's obvious just how much the fore end rolls in the H bag.

There are a lot of good 6.5factory bullets out there now it would be interesting to test them off a bench in a bench gun.makes me want to put a 4.40 action in my Savage target stock and screw on my Creedmoor  or 47L barrel and play.
Dave

Reply #35
Dave i took the atips out to 1100 yards here awhile back. Shooting at a idps target.. not very big.. after getting figured out where i wanted to be i shot a 4 inch 4 shot group with them off a bipod and rear bag from a caldwell lite shooting table.. i have no doubt these pills could be competitive from a bench rest gun with the proper rests..
Grant