News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

The a-tip

Started by gman47564, October 09, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxforfun

Also, the heavier weight at the same MV will contribute to this effect.  But great results and a great way to start the day.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Little update on the 153 gr. Atips in the 6.5x284.. this gun my be my favorite.. its been a hammer ever since i put it together.. and seems to be getting better with age.. was told my barrel would be toast in 7 or 800 rounds but thats just not the case.. after 750 or so rounds it shows very little fire cracking and very little throat erosion and i have pushe it hard from the beginning.. one thing i havnt done is let the barrel get super hot.. any way the atips are shooting great in it for me.. a couple 3 shot groups at 430 yards with a 10 mph wind at my back.. one about 3/4 inch and one at a inch.. im the limiting factor as to how good this thing could shoot..
Grant

autoxforfun

Grant, any conclusions regarding the A-tip?  Are they better than other bullet's you've used.  I have some 153g on order from Powder Valley and my initial tests made we want to order some more and see how they would do in a 1000yd match.  I've been shooting the 110g in the 6mm CM and I didn't see much benefit over the Berger or the Barts.  
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Bob i would like to tell you their not any better than the 147 eldm but the truth is i think they are.. are they worth that extra money i cant answer that.. im going to try some 156 elite hunters in this and a 6.5 prc im working on.. if they shoot as good as the atips i will stick with the bergers.. the uniformity of the atips are impressive to me.. hornady knocks 20 dollars a box off of them and i would buy a bunch of them.. lol
Grant

DHuffman

I would think the only way to give the A tips a fair shake would be to test them at least 600yards out but the real test would be out to 1000 off a rest and rear bag with a stock capable of riding and tracking the bags. I've been shooting off the Caldwell's lately and it's obvious just how much the fore end rolls in the H bag.

There are a lot of good 6.5factory bullets out there now it would be interesting to test them off a bench in a bench gun.makes me want to put a 4.40 action in my Savage target stock and screw on my Creedmoor  or 47L barrel and play.
Dave

gman47564

Dave i took the atips out to 1100 yards here awhile back. Shooting at a idps target.. not very big.. after getting figured out where i wanted to be i shot a 4 inch 4 shot group with them off a bipod and rear bag from a caldwell lite shooting table.. i have no doubt these pills could be competitive from a bench rest gun with the proper rests..
Grant