Skip to main content
Topic: Vacuum sealer (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic

Vacuum sealer

Can anyone suggest a good vacuum sealer? One that can produce consistent and reliable seals when processing larger quantities of game. I would prefer something reasonably priced .

I usually process between 50lbs - 100 lbs at a time .

Thank you

Eric

Re: Vacuum sealer

Reply #1
My wife bought me a "Zip-lock" brand vacuum sealer at Wallyworld for my BD probably 5 or 6 years ago.
It has wrapped no fewer than 10 or 12 deer and  maybe 3 or 4 antelope since.  It's been in WY with me 4 or 5 times.  When I make bulk sausage it has wrapped 50-75 pounds at a time maybe three or 4 times.  Paid for itself over & over all but eliminates freezer burn.  Every once in a while I find packages two years old that look as fresh as when packaged.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #2
That’s a pretty darn good endorsement!!!

Reply #3
My wife bought me a "Zip-lock" brand vacuum sealer at Wallyworld for my BD probably 5 or 6 years ago.
It has wrapped no fewer than 10 or 12 deer and  maybe 3 or 4 antelope since.  It's been in WY with me 4 or 5 times.  When I make bulk sausage it has wrapped 50-75 pounds at a time maybe three or 4 times.  Paid for itself over & over all but eliminates freezer burn.  Every once in a while I find packages two years old that look as fresh as when packaged.

My Son has about the same one. It gets it's use.

Next on the list is getting him a meat slicer for Christmas.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #4
The Boss bought a Suck and Seal (not the real name, just what I refer to it as.) Weston years ago and uses it almost daily.  It's big, heavy, takes up a bunch of counter space, built like a tank, and sounds like one too.  She went through a bunch of them before she came across this one at Cabela's.  Being the clever person that she is, she got the model # and bought in directly from Weston.

As you probably noticed, I hate the damn thing, but she was saving to buy a new one just about every year until she came across this one.  She wasn't buying the cheap ones either, but the top of the line ones.  And, they would still crap out way too soon.  Anyway the Weston is turning out to be just like a Timex watch.
All my guns are steel and wood.  Well most all.
Golden Years, my ass.

Reply #5
Food Saver makes several incarnations of sealer. We had one of the originals, it was the most used appliance in the kitchen and lasted 14-15 years. The second one is much better, but only 5-6 years old right now, still the most used thing in the kitchen. Amazon sells some bags for them that are a little cheaper, and do very well, but it doesn't take much to tell the real deal from the imitation.
There are several brands out there these days, I can only endorse one of them.
https://www.foodsaver.com/

Happy Shopping
We must never forget that freedom is never free. Freedom is the most costly thing in the world. Freedom is never paid in lump sum. Installments come due in every generation. All any of us can do is offer the generations that follow a chance for freedom.
President Ronald W, Reagan

Reply #6
I've had two Foodsavers over the last 15 or more years.  The first one started giving me troubles maintaining suction, but turns out I was not putting vegetable oil on the foam vacuum seals.  I replaced the dried seals and gave it to my uncle and bought one that has an option for sealing moist items.  Does a good job sealing up on squirrels after they have been processed and washed.  Couldn't begin to tell you how many squirrels, rabbits, and deer have been packaged up between those two vacuum sealers.

Reply #7
I also use the one rebranded by Cabelas...the heavy frickin' stainless job.  Works great but is heavy and costs a bit.  Both my mother and I have been having one for 15+ years and going strong.

Reply #8
Food Saver really works well when it comes preserving meat for the freezer.  There are settings and techniques for everything (e.g. fruits, vegetables, soups, etc.) else too.
See you at the range.

Reply #9
I just go to Kohl's and buy the Food Saver over but closest to $100. I have tried them from cheap to close to $500 and they all fail eventually, I have never gotten more than 4yrs out of any of them. I am on yr 3 with the last Food Saver. Just make sure the one you buy has a lid lock that prevents seal compression during storage.

Buy your bags on Amazon, 4 11" x 25' rolls for $18 shipped
Darryle
NRA Life Member  GOA Life Member  NSCA Life Member

Reply #10
I have a foodsaver brand,  I seal all my wild game meat in it for the last 12 years.