News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

F-Class National Championships in Raton

Started by rardoin, September 10, 2019, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

Dave - Spanish Peaks area of CO is beautiful!

Hey Robin - travel safe and shoot well my friend!

Whittington is the next range on my list to investigate. Wish I was going to be there this weekend but will be at a small 1000 BR match at CRC in Denver.

rardoin

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on September 11, 2019, 09:06:22 AMDave - Spanish Peaks area of CO is beautiful!

Hey Robin - travel safe and shoot well my friend!

Whittington is the next range on my list to investigate. Wish I was going to be there this weekend but will be at a small 1000 BR match at CRC in Denver.

Was afraid you died or something, you were pretty quiet for a couple days! Get your game face on for the match this weekend. No pressure but I'm expecting great things!  :D 
Dave

jvw2008

????

I was off the grid yesterday in a spot with no cell reception.

gman47564

I been wondering about him as well.. focusing on that match I'm sure.. he bound to win that trophy.. no pressure jerry.. you can always go back to the 308 and bang steel if not.. lol.. ????????
Grant

jvw2008

I thought 308s were just for spray and pray. People really use them for competition?

jvw2008

Robin I see you switched over from 4350 to N160.  Do you feel it is also better than the 4831SC?

rardoin

I can't say as I have not done a head to head comparison between the two in the same barrel.  It is about the same case volume for each powder but  about 1.5-2.0gr less charge weight for 2800fps with N160; I think this gives it a cleaner more efficient burn.  I will know more in about 10 days ;) .  I'm hoping this recent powder switch will allow a very good waterline at 1000yds.  The team I was invited to join has some very good shooters and I feel we could get a top 5 finish so I don't want to be the slacker in the bunch O:) .  I will be shooting a tuner to tweak things if I get stringing in one plane or the other but it would only be a bandaid. 

rardoin

Wondering if @boltman13 will be making it out to Raton.  Ya got ya ears on??? :)

jvw2008

rardoin

Did a little tuner testing at 600yds this morning.  Near calm conditions:

I am good on my load for 600 for sure.  It should hold out at 1000yds but I can pull it in with the tuner, I hope, if not.  An incidental 3 shot group of 'soft seaters' that were segregated from the record rounds.....perhaps I need to test a little lighter neck tension after the Nats...

gman47564

Grant

rardoin

I wish I had about a dozen more of the soft seaters to shoot into that group.  I am loaded and ready to go so no more time to test now....but after Nats the wheels will be turnin'....LOL

gman47564

how much neck tension do you usually use robin ?
myself I like a light grip on the bullet... I try to keep mine at a thousandth..
Grant

rardoin

Me too Grant....usually 0.005-0.001".  These were 0.001" but with new/unturned cases, not run through the annealer.  The mandrel I was expanding with will give 0.0005" 'neck tension' with the 184 when using fired and annealed cases.  I think spring back was greater because I did not anneal them.  I will test annealing them before loading (even though they are annealed at time of manufacture).  I also usually run a 'flex-hone' In the neck to uniform the carbon on fired cases and do it even on new cases...but I skipped the step thinking it probably was a waste of time.....maybe not as it does lighten up seating forces a little but.

Robin