News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

F-Class National Championships in Raton

Started by rardoin, September 10, 2019, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rardoin

Who's going to the Nats in Raton next week?  I will be there to shoot the midrange team matches, the long range team matches as well as the long range individual.  I anticipate a Tuesday afternoon arrival.  If anyone heading out there perhaps we could meet and get some grub one evening.

Robin

sportacus

Wish I was going to Raton for another purpose.  As you are driving north from Amarillo, check out the TO Ranch on the right about 15-20 miles south of Raton.  Where this central Louisiana hillbilly became a pronghorn junkie.  Missed this year, but plan to be there for 2020.
If you have the shot, take it.

DHuffman

Quote from: rardoin on September 10, 2019, 02:32:34 PMWho's going to the Nats in Raton next week?  I will be there to shoot the midrange team matches, the long range team matches as well as the long range individual.  I anticipate a Tuesday afternoon arrival.  If anyone heading out there perhaps we could meet and get some grub one evening.

Robin

Good luck Robin, I know you're prepared.
Dave

rardoin

Thanks Dave. Unlike last year I do feel prepared.

Spart...  The TO ranch is a HUGE property holding with interesting history.  That area is a beautiful part of the drive...after getting past the feed lots around Dumas and their associated aroma ::) .  I'm just about a 14.5hr drive to get to Raton but once past Stateline the beauty of the open plains and buttes makes the last couple of hours painless.

Robin

gman47564

good shooting to ya robin... what caliber are you taking?
Grant

mnbogboy

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

lg65cmsd

rardoin

Thanks for the support guys...it is appreciated.

Grant, I am shooting a straight .284 in a McMillan Kestros ZR stock (the Pink Panther... :D ).  As we discussed I'll be running the 184gr Berger hybrid at 2800fps over 52.3gr VV N160/BR-2.  I'll use this for the 600 and 1000yd matches.  It has been grouping well in testing...better than H4350 and at least as good as RL-23 but with a lot less fouling than any powder I have ever shot in any rifle.  I have settled on the load tested below.  If I have perfectly calm conditions on Friday a.m. I will run a tuner test at 600yds sweeping through 5-6 graduations to find the sweet spot and see how this load responds to various settings. 

gman47564

Great shooting robin.. I assume the velocity shown on the screen is mv at the 300 yard mark..
Grant

rardoin

Quote from: gman47564 on September 11, 2019, 06:37:06 AMGreat shooting robin.. I assume the velocity shown on the screen is mv at the 300 yard mark..
Yes...it is terminal velocity.  MVavg was 2796fps over 8 shots the day prior in similar conditions.

DHuffman

Quote from: rardoin on September 11, 2019, 07:15:06 AMYes...it is terminal velocity.  MVavg was 2796fps over 8 shots the day prior in similar conditions.

I'm actually jealous, it's been a while since I traveled in that country.
Dave

rardoin

Quote from: HufD63 on September 11, 2019, 07:43:17 AMI'm actually jealous, it's been a while since I traveled in that country.

Beautiful for sure...with a catch... :(   The only decent food I could find in Raton or Trinidad (CO) was in neither... ::)

It was in Cimarron... at the St. James hotel.  It is a 26mi ride west of the Whittington Center and 10 more miles from our hotel but worth the ride.  Other than that it is slim pickin's for this cajun boy ;) .

DHuffman

Quote from: rardoin on September 11, 2019, 08:07:48 AMBeautiful for sure...with a catch... :(   The only decent food I could find in Raton or Trinidad (CO) was in neither... ::)

It was in Cimarron... at the St. James hotel.  It is a 26mi ride west of the Whittington Center and 10 more miles from our hotel but worth the ride.  Other than that it is slim pickin's for this cajun boy ;) .

I've never spent much time on the ground in either place. I have blown through there at high speed numerous times with an 18 wheeler loaded with cows, sheep or horses. I've seen most of this great country west of the Mississippi "through the windshield"
Dave

DHuffman

When I was very young my Dad pastured stocker/feeder cattle on a range unit near Walsenburg CO and we traveled out there a few times to check on them. The bears and natives ate well that summer. 
Dave