Skip to main content
Topic: Berger 140 VLD Hunt vs. Berger 140 Elite Hunter  (Read 226 times) previous topic - next topic

Berger 140 VLD Hunt vs. Berger 140 Elite Hunter

I am getting ready to reload for an Antelope hunt in October in WY and am thinking about trying the 140 Elite Hunter this year. The past two years I've used the 140 VLD Hunt with good success, though. Has anyone used the Elite Hunter? or both, to get a comparison. What is your opinion? Which one is the most accurate, and which one is best for hunting?
USMC 64-69 RVN 65-66
USA 69-87 / 04-07  RVN 70-71 OIF 05-06  NRA Patron Life Member

Re: Berger 140 VLD Hunt vs. Berger 140 Elite Hunter

Reply #1
rld346,
Fan of both bullets.  Started hunting with 130 and 140 VLD-H loaded by copper Creek in 2015.  Awesome results on whitetails and feral hogs.  Switched to 140 Elite Hunter, again loaded by Copper Creek a couple of years ago.  Have taken one pronghorn, several whitetails and a few feral hogs with that load.  Very accurate out of several rifles.  Most kills DRT but some victims travelled 30-40 yards and were all recovered.  No complaints with either projectile.   Has become a pre-season prep ritual to pick the most accurate load for hunting.  Final two contenders usually 143 ELD-X and 140 EH.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #2
Sportacus,
    Thanks for your insight. I also have some 143 ELD-X bullets which I have never loaded...guess I had better give them a shot. Is your 140 VLD-H load pretty much the same as for the 140 Elite? I thought I'd try my same load for the Elite as I'm using for the VLD, which is 41.9 of H4350. I don't remember what they chronographed. I thought I'd recheck the speed, but now I am now using a suppressor and am not sure the Magnetospeed will work with that installed, and I think the suppressor changes the velocity. I have an older Pact Chrono I may have to use...I just hate setting up the screens.
USMC 64-69 RVN 65-66
USA 69-87 / 04-07  RVN 70-71 OIF 05-06  NRA Patron Life Member

Reply #3
Sportacus,
    Thanks for your insight. I also have some 143 ELD-X bullets which I have never loaded...guess I had better give them a shot. Is your 140 VLD-H load pretty much the same as for the 140 Elite? I thought I'd try my same load for the Elite as I'm using for the VLD, which is 41.9 of H4350. I don't remember what they chronographed. I thought I'd recheck the speed, but now I am now using a suppressor and am not sure the Magnetospeed will work with that installed, and I think the suppressor changes the velocity. I have an older Pact Chrono I may have to use...I just hate setting up the screens.
rld346,
Data from the Copper Creek website:
140 VLD-H
MV 2830
B.C. .600/.303
140 Elite Hunter
MV 2810
B.C. .610/.303
Test barrels 24".
Very close.
Not a clue as to Josh's recipes, but they work for me.
These two missiles have taken every critter I have loosed them on.  Good luck on the antelope hunt.
If you have the shot, take it.