Skip to main content
Topic: the rem 783 in 6.5 creedmoor (Read 708 times) previous topic - next topic

the rem 783 in 6.5 creedmoor

there was a topic in this board about "best rifles", however, there is no such thing as a "best rifle" - far too much subjectivity in all things firearm.  at best, we might individually find a firearm that works well for each of us in both function and form.   maybe.  if we're lucky.

anyhoo, i just bought a rem 783 6.5 creedmoor w/24" heavy barrel for $350.17/shipped from a vendor in georgia and now on its way to my FFL.  i looked at the "budget" flavors out there in gun land and decided to give the 783 a dance ... i've had many bolt guns from rem, ruger, savage, etc etc.  this will be an interesting rifle to test out, mod a bit, do some load development, and see what she can do at some truly serious distance.  like a mile.  :o   8)     

Re: the rem 783 in 6.5 creedmoor

Reply #1
let us know how it shoots rfd… a mile is a poke..
Grant

Reply #2
there was a topic in this board about "best rifles", however, there is no such thing as a "best rifle" - far too much subjectivity in all things firearm.  at best, we might individually find a firearm that works well for each of us in both function and form.   maybe.  if we're lucky.

anyhoo, i just bought a rem 783 6.5 creedmoor w/24" heavy barrel for $350.17/shipped from a vendor in georgia and now on its way to my FFL.  i looked at the "budget" flavors out there in gun land and decided to give the 783 a dance ... i've had many bolt guns from rem, ruger, savage, etc etc.  this will be an interesting rifle to test out, mod a bit, do some load development, and see what she can do at some truly serious distance.  like a mile.  :o   8)     

For a while, Timney was contemplating doing an after market trigger for the 783. Don’t know what they decided. It sure needs an improvement over the factory offering.

Reply #3
Garbage.....

Reply #4
I take it your not a fan! 😂

Is that based on what you’ve read or have you actually worked with one?

Reply #5
I pride myself on my ability to make a rifle “shoot” I owned one of these in a 270 Winchester. I picked the rifle up on a trade and was quite confident I could make it a decent truck gun. tried a multitude of offerings in this rifle. (Hand loads with a large combination of bullets and powders) very few of these combos showed much promise if any. I didn’t do much accurizing work on the rifle itself and am fully aware that this was most likely the problem. The trigger was horrendous and the stock was a [email protected]$tty Remington factory stock. I didn’t see the use in doing a ton of work on a rifle that wasn’t for me. My opinion only....at the end of day I knew I would never be happy with this rifle, and chose not pursue this project.

Reply #6
I pride myself on my ability to make a rifle “shoot” I owned one of these in a 270 Winchester.

well there's your problem right there. if it was a creedmoor all you have to do is buy any ole' box of bullets and its guaranteed sub moa  ;)

Reply #7
Oh yeah. There is that :)

Reply #8
I've read that Factory Remington Actions are much better now, including the 783.  Very square and precise.  The bolt, barrel, stock perhaps is another story.  Maybe a good platform to build on, but not many aftermarket parts...

Reply #9
If that is what you are after, a 700 action is  about the same price give or take. I would rather have an action that I could modify to my liking. The 783 imho is a budget rifle that is just that.  A mile is nothing to ask of a budget rifle.  (The Ruger American is the exception)  I agree somewhat agree with Denver Steve on his 6.5 Creedmoor comment. Although I have made multiple 270 Winchester’s shoot sub moa.  Solely my opinion but the 783 is a budget rifle not designed for a mile on steel, let alone an animal over 300.  Spend the money once and get something designed for the intended purpose. Once again mho. The 783 is a “sub par” Remington rifle Designed for wal-mart type sales. Not trying to ruffle feathers here just stating my opinion on the rifle.

Reply #10
This will be an interesting rifle to test out, mod a bit, do some load development, and see what she can do at some truly serious distance.  like a mile.  :o   8)     

I don't know why this will be interesting if you already owned a
Savage !!  It's Remington's idea of a clone, with little engineering.
Your going to need a 55 gallon drum of lipstick for that pig to think
about a mile. It is what it is. Basically you'll have bought an action
that will need trued, and the rest of the rifle......dumpster bait.
For hunting White tail or Mule's it'll do though.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #12
well, kids ... we shall see.  ;D

Reply #13
Garbage.....

don't be so quick to put a gun or a plan down so fast, particularly since you don't know squat about the particulars, other than the basic gun's action, barrel and trigger group. 

that "garbage" word was said to me of a cheap AR15 .223 wylde build i made earlier this year, based pretty much the same on what you've typed.  it even sported a cheap 6-24x50 scope.  people laughed hard and long at that build, maybe even like you?  last month i showed the peanut gallery that it would do MOA at 700 yards, all day long.   who laughed last?  not me, that would be too crass.

in archery, the arrow is more important than the bow.  the rifle is the bow, the projectile and cartridge is the arrow.

look, we're not going to war with these guns, our lives are not on the line, we're having fun and maybe working on a self imposed challenging task or two.  if it ain't fun and interesting, why bother wasting time and money?  i could easily build out a "sniper rifle" with top shelf mega $$$$, and it'll be boringly accurate.  there is no challenge to that, which is one reason i'm into iron sight BPCR guns and black powder paper patch cartridges at 200 to 800 yards.  that's a Real Challenge, not a scoped rem 7xx action 6.5 creedmoor at any distance.  to each their own, lighten up, life's still good, have some fun and make it interesting ;)

Reply #14
getting there, LOTS more to do ...