Skip to main content
Topic: 140 gr Speer Gold Dot does the trick (Read 695 times) previous topic - next topic

140 gr Speer Gold Dot does the trick

Had the opportunity tonight to test some of the Speer 140gr Gold Dots on some Virginia does. We have several crop damage kill permits and was able to help the farmer out plus add some fantastic meat to the freezer. I am pushing the 140s with 46 grains of Rl26. Great results! This bullet looks like its gonna see plenty of action come fall.
I'm just a nobody trying to tell everybody,
About somebody, who can save anybody!

Re: 140 gr Speer Gold Dot does the trick

Reply #1
Have you tested this load for speed and accuracy.  I have tried the 140 GD when it first came out but the accuracy wasn't there in my rifle (Savage FCP 10).   I tried with H4350 and RL16 at various loads, did not see potential for accuracy, so I shelved what I have left.  OBTW, were the does DRT or did they run off and did you recover bullets?

Mike

Reply #2
Have you tested this load for speed and accuracy.  I have tried the 140 GD when it first came out but the accuracy wasn't there in my rifle (Savage FCP 10).   I tried with H4350 and RL16 at various loads, did not see potential for accuracy, so I shelved what I have left.  OBTW, were the does DRT or did they run off and did you recover bullets?

Mike

Mike, Lord willing Im gonna try H4350 some this weekend or beginning of next with the 140 Gold Dots. So far the rl26 is giving me the best velocity and accuracy on par ( even better in some )of all the different 140gr pills ive shot. Deer ran about 20 yards with a massive blood trail. The other two were shot with different rifles by my friends. So far so good. I think a high shoulder to mid shoulder shot wouldve anchored her in her tracks but we are going to do some more "tests" to verify. I'll let ya know what i find. The gun i was shooting was a Savage model 12 FV . So far it is shooting like a dream . Going to test out some loads for the TC Compass next. Anyone have any load suggestions for 120 GOLD DOTS ? Thanks fellers!
I'm just a nobody trying to tell everybody,
About somebody, who can save anybody!

Reply #3
Great Preacher!  I'll be following your results.  Good hunting!

Reply #4
Mike, Lord willing Im gonna try H4350 some this weekend or beginning of next with the 140 Gold Dots. So far the rl26 is giving me the best velocity and accuracy on par ( even better in some )of all the different 140gr pills ive shot. Deer ran about 20 yards with a massive blood trail. The other two were shot with different rifles by my friends. So far so good. I think a high shoulder to mid shoulder shot wouldve anchored her in her tracks but we are going to do some more "tests" to verify. I'll let ya know what i find. The gun i was shooting was a Savage model 12 FV . So far it is shooting like a dream . Going to test out some loads for the TC Compass next. Anyone have any load suggestions for 120 GOLD DOTS ? Thanks fellers!
I am interested in how the Compass shoots. I saw a great deal ($249.00) for these, I bought 2 for my Grandkids. Seemed like a good deal. I look forward to it.

Reply #5
I am interested in how the Compass shoots. I saw a great deal ($249.00) for these, I bought 2 for my Grandkids. Seemed like a good deal. I look forward to it.

if they shoot anything like the venture or the icon $250 is a steal. my icon is the most accurate gun i own. for that price im assuming the stock is going to be pretty sub par though.

Reply #6
if they shoot anything like the venture or the icon $250 is a steal. my icon is the most accurate gun i own. for that price im assuming the stock is going to be pretty sub par though.
Tupperware stock, about the same quality as the RAR stocks. But, I bought my Wife a 6.5 CM RAR Predator & I opened up the fore end with a rasp (10 minute job) and it is a 1/2 MOA rifle (3 shot) with a couple of loads. I have seen mostly good reviews on the Compass, esp. the 5R rifling & trigger & it has a  treaded muzzle. We shall see.

Reply #7
Thanks for the post Preacher. Been wondering about the Gold Dots performance on deer. The 140s shoot lights out for me.

Reply #8
hi guys  I bought a tc compass in 6,5 from Kentucky gun. I am very happy with it got the combo deal rifle with vortex diamond back 4x12x40 and rings. gun shoots 1moa at 200yrds using 140 eld match  using h4350. ive shot steel all the way to 1000 yrds couldn't see impacts but buddy next to me confirmed hits on 36 in plate scope has enough moa <29moa at 1000> to hit 1000. sighted gun in 2wks ago with 140 grn sst were also good at 200yrds . been reading on various forums about sst not performing on deer . some guys have no problems with them others say they don't penetrate . so I bought some 140 grn eldx . gonna go out this weekend and try them. headed to0 missouri in 2 weeks for deer firearm I live in il and always used slug guns . had to pass on some nice bucks over the years not being comfortable with extended ranges.  first time using rifle.  a place called mcarbo  makes a trigger spring kit for the compass for 20$ well worth it in my opinion.  will try to post some pics of my next range session if any one is interested.   as the three stooges said to the hunt.  hope you all have a good hunting season      billd

Reply #9
1 more thing johnys reloading bench on you tube has lots of videos on the tc compass definitely worth a look

Reply #10
hi guys  I bought a tc compass in 6,5 from Kentucky gun. I am very happy with it got the combo deal rifle with vortex diamond back 4x12x40 and rings. gun shoots 1moa at 200yrds using 140 eld match  using h4350. ive shot steel all the way to 1000 yrds couldn't see impacts but buddy next to me confirmed hits on 36 in plate scope has enough moa <29moa at 1000> to hit 1000. sighted gun in 2wks ago with 140 grn sst were also good at 200yrds . been reading on various forums about sst not performing on deer . some guys have no problems with them others say they don't penetrate . so I bought some 140 grn eldx . gonna go out this weekend and try them. headed to0 missouri in 2 weeks for deer firearm I live in il and always used slug guns . had to pass on some nice bucks over the years not being comfortable with extended ranges.  first time using rifle.  a place called mcarbo  makes a trigger spring kit for the compass for 20$ well worth it in my opinion.  will try to post some pics of my next range session if any one is interested.   as the three stooges said to the hunt.  hope you all have a good hunting season      billd
Thanks for the trigger spring info, will order 2 tomorrow.