Skip to main content
Topic: what would you use? (Read 228 times) previous topic - next topic

what would you use?

what would you use if these rounds shot the same or close to same group , for deer, closest was 50yds and  farthest shot would be 500yds. Rifle is a LR 6.5 with a 18in BSF carbon barrel. and WHY?????
142 AB Winchester
143 ELDX Pro Hunter
140 Bonded Soft Tip Federal Fusion
140 Soft point Federal Non Typical
140 OT Match Sig Sauer

thank you

Gary

Re: what would you use?

Reply #1
The 142 ABLR and 143 ELD-X will Fly the straightest, buck the wind best and retain velocity the longest. Either of those would be my pick, and I’d base it on which was most accurate.

Reply #2
Speaking from personal experience, I've used the Factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X for the past two years for deer season. One shot per buck, ranges in the 100-150yd distance. No reason to change at this point in my view.

Reply #3
What ever load shoots the tightest groups would be my pick.  All will do the job at ranges you specified. Depending if you dial or hold over at the longer ranges may also be a factor in your decision but there may not be a lot of difference in the trajectory of all that you mentioned. 
As EmporerMA mentioned the AB and ELDx will be the flattest shooting and have good reputations but hopefully they will shoot great from your rifle.
Try them all if you can one probably will stand out from the rest.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
thank you all that responded, I will give each a try. I know how the 143eldx works got a 2ferlast yr.  just havent tried them out in my new barrel yet.