Skip to main content
Topic: Barrel cooler.. (Read 752 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Barrel cooler..

Reply #15
Fuj, I have the same problem every year when it's starts to get warm (rifle sweating)
I keep my stuff in the basement, while I run a dehumidifier there, still a problem.
So when I know I'm shooting the next day, just load everything in the truck the night before
and everything adjusts to the outside or garage temp. and no problems.
Otherwise, the scope would take 5+ minutes before the outside lenses would
stop fogging.

Reply #16
Ok fellers I couldn't wait till tomorrow to try this pump out.. will say this first thing.. I will buy another one of these pumps if anything happens to this one.. it works and works well.. 90 degrees here at the moment..got my 6.5 creedmoor out and took about 15 rounds to get my barrel hot enough I couldn't leave the inner part of my forearm on it.. stuck the hose in it and started pumping air into the barrel.. 3 minutes into it and I could hold my inner forearm against it no problem.. 5 minutes into it I went back to shooting.. and got it good and hot again.. and again I could have went back to shooting but I want to see how long the pump will last on a charge.. been running about 10 minutes as of now and barrel is probably same as outside temp.. I dont have a temp gun but my forearm tells me it's working fantastic  :D

Pumping life into the 6.5. Lol
Grant

Reply #17
Gregg I dont think you could make me pour cold water down a pipe.. lol.. steel is steel and going from one extreme to the other fast like that could change the molecular structure of the steel.. fuj are you concerned any about that with the co2.. wont that stuff freeze things?.. educate me ..
Grant

Reply #18
Water down the barrel as a cooler has been around for a long while. I think the barrel steel would have to be glowing red hot for a significant molecular change.

Reply #19
im sure your right jerry... still think I will pass on the water...lol
Grant

Reply #20
The 1st one I've seen was from maybe 5 yrs ago.  The guy is local and shoots F-class i think.  His website is still up and still in business.

The Magneto Speed also made their own called "Barrel Kul" or something.

http://barrelcool.com/product-category/barrelcool/

I'm tempted to try one or two

The Barrel Cool was actually invented by an old forum member from way back -Bryan Sumoba. I think Magnetospeed copied his idea personally or maybe they bought him out. Don't know. Haven't heard from Bryan in a long time. Nice fella.
You would remember him Jerry?

Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

Reply #21
Gregg I dont think you could make me pour cold water down a pipe.. lol.. steel is steel and going from one extreme to the other fast like that could change the molecular structure of the steel.. fuj are you concerned any about that with the co2.. wont that stuff freeze things?.. educate me ..

Your not actually going from extremes. A few hundred degrees
means nothing. Now like Jerry mentioned about glowing, then
you would air cool slowly.....Had a few M60's that the barrels
were about to droop......LOL

Good test by the way, but does look like a meth lab.....LOL
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the laser temp guns
are cheap.....I need to head over to Auto Zone and snag a
tire stem. I want it so I can insert with the bolt out, and
have the tube stop at the breech. That way I'll be cooling
the chamber first, instead of just blowing directly into the
rifling. 
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #22
The Barrel Cool was actually invented by an old forum member from way back -Bryan Sumoba. I think Magnetospeed copied his idea personally or maybe they bought him out. Don't know. Haven't heard from Bryan in a long time. Nice fella.
You would remember him Jerry?

Bryan pops in from time to time.   It’s been several months since I’ve chatted with him. He is a dyed in the wool F Class devotee. 😊 Spends most of his time on AS.

Reply #23
When Bryan first came out with the barrel cool is when I got mine..and have used it alot and still works fine today.. just doesn't move near as much air as this little pump does..

By the way I let it run for a half hour yesterday and it hadn't slowed down.. 😁
Grant

Reply #24
How is the hose held into the pump? I might get one for my 7mmRM as it heats up fast. Not worried about the short actions.

Reply #25
Its supposed to come with 3 nozzles with one being small that the hose would hook to.. mine didnt.. but their sending them to me. In the mean time I wrapped some electrical tape around the threads on a brass fitting to get a good fit and slid the hose on the fitting..
Grant

Reply #26
Better pic rob
Grant

Reply #27
I've been thinking about this and thought I would share:

I wanted to look at the difference in Surface Area, since we know that heat transfer has a lot do with both the temperature gradient and the surface area exposed.  I took Fuj's thought and assumed that only half of the exterior of the barrel is exposed to any air flow.  This is probably conservative since the barrels are floated and there is likely some airflow from underneath.  I then compared this to the surface area of the bore.  I used the diameter of the bullet which is a bit larger than the bore but then I didn't need to take into consideration any extra surface area that the rifling would provide.

I used my 6.5CM with a 1.120 straight 30" barrel for the calculations.

External Surface Area:  (pi*Diameter*barrel length)/2  ~= 53 sq-in
    Internal Bore Surface Area:  (pi*Diameter*barrel length) ~=25 sq-in

So conservatively, the external surface for heat dissipation is 2x that of the that of the bore.  The other factor that needs to be considered is the Thermal Co-efficient for Stainless Steel and then determine the if the thermal gradient between the bore and the external surface is significant enough to change the effectiveness of one versus the other.  This took more math than I had at my finger tips.  Also, the barrel contour will have an impact on the external surface area while the bore area will remain constant. 

I know that I have never shot in a perfectly calm day....there is always some breeze blowing over the barrel.  So to some extent, we're getting the benefit of this surface area and its ability to cool the barrel.  So perhaps augmenting this with the bore cooler like Grant suggested and prototyped is a good way to go.  Probably ideal would be to do both if time is of the essence. 
Bob

Reply #28
Grant, it looks like you put a fitting into the output port of the device.  Do you know what the ID of that port is?  
Bob

Reply #29
.682 bob. Between 5/8 and 11/16.. I used this quiet a bit yesterday with my factory barreled 22-250.. it's got a heavy varmint contour.. inch at the chamber and .832 at the muzzle. I'm sending 60 gr tmk's out the end at almost 4000 fps.. doesn't take many to have the barrel too hot to hold onto.. takes this little pump about 5 minutes to cool it down enough to go back to shooting.. whether it works better than a fan blowing across the exterior of the barrel I cant say.. never tried a exterior fan.. I do know standing one up with the bolt open takes a good 20 minutes to cool down enough to shoot again for me.. my barrel cool brand takes about 12 to 15 minutes to cool enough to suit me.. and after 2 or 3 times of that the battery is dead.. shot a couple hours yesterday and never did slow the little pump down. Not trying to sell it or anything else.. just know when you shoot alot when it's hot you need a way to cool your pipes down.. and this is the fastest and cheapest way to do that that I have found..
Grant