Skip to main content
Topic: Howa "Howage" Prefit Barrels? (Read 965 times) previous topic - next topic

Howa "Howage" Prefit Barrels?

As I was surfing around the Savage Shooters site, I clicked on a McGowan barrel ad.  I notice a sub for Howage prefits.  When I investigated, I found that they had prefits for a number of different brand actions.  Since I have a Howa 1500 in a Boyds AT_1 stock that I built last year, I thought about swapping the barrel for a 6.5 CM.  It is .308 Win now and shoots right with my other 6.5s.  The problem is the kick from a whole day at the range.  I'm not as macho as I once was and I'm not ashamed to say it hurts.  My limbsaver pad doesn't help a lot after a few shots.  A muzzle break is not an option because I ccare for the shooters beside me.  6.5 is accurate and not a chore to shoot.  I have emailed them to find out if they lap and how they prepare their barrels.  Has anyone had experience with Howage barrels and McGowan in particular?  I like the gun but not the kick.  And by the way, I'm as macho once as I ever was.

Re: Howa "Howage" Prefit Barrels?

Reply #1
A.T.W.:

I recently built a 6mm Creedmoor using a Criterion pre-fit barrel on a trued Remington 700 action.  It shoots so well that I've ordered another for my Howa 1500 action.  There are those who will say that you are giving up some accuracy with a pre-fit and while I won't dispute that, the Criterion pre-fit shoots in the .3 and .4s at 500 meters.  From a quality/trueness perspective, I think a stock Howa action is better than a stock 700 action, and I expect similar or better performance from the Howa/Criterion project.

Good luck with yours,
Henryrifle

Reply #2
I just want to make it a shooter.  As far as I can tell, there are no premo aftermarket triggers or much else for Howa, and I have no hopes of making it sub 1/4 moa.  I will be glad if it is though.  Good to hear the results from the Ramage.

Reply #3
I find the Jard trigger for the Howa 1500 more than acceptable.  It is inexpensive, easy to install and depending on which spring stiffness you order can be down in the 8-9 ounce range with a crisp break.  Anyone should be able to work with that!  Also in my opinion, the stock Howa trigger is not conducive to accurate shooting, to put it kindly.  Not all will agree with either of those opinions.

Henryrifle

Reply #4
I just want to make it a shooter.  As far as I can tell, there are no premo aftermarket triggers or much else for Howa, and I have no hopes of making it sub 1/4 moa.  I will be glad if it is though.  Good to hear the results from the Ramage.
  I have a Timney trigger in my Howa1500 6.5 CM

Reply #5
A.T.W.:

I recently built a 6mm Creedmoor using a Criterion pre-fit barrel on a trued Remington 700 action.  It shoots so well that I've ordered another for my Howa 1500 action.  There are those who will say that you are giving up some accuracy with a pre-fit and while I won't dispute that, the Criterion pre-fit shoots in the .3 and .4s at 500 meters.  From a quality/trueness perspective, I think a stock Howa action is better than a stock 700 action, and I expect similar or better performance from the Howa/Criterion project.

Good luck with yours,
Henryrifle

Like you stated, I also hear that the Pre-fit are not quite as accurate, I wonder what you give up, as a Savage rifle in general does quite well for a factory rifle. I think Howa/Vanguard would be a good foundation.

Reply #6
  I have a Timney trigger in my Howa1500 6.5 CM
I went this route for my Howa as you did and am totally satisfied.  I found the factory Howa trigger no longer viable as  I was fighting it for long range shots and finally gave up on it. 

Thanks to those who have raised a Flag regarding the Howage type barrel systems.   I was in fact looking at this option but if accuracy is sacrificed,  I'll pass.