Skip to main content
Topic: New to me! (Read 329 times) previous topic - next topic

New to me!

Built and successfully campaigned by the same smith who built my 6 BRA Borden.

This one's a Kelbly Stolle Panda with a Bix & Andy trigger. It's in an original Rutland Laminate LRB stock that's been dipped in a carbon fiber pattern.

Came with 4 barrels:

6 BRA 8 twist
6 BRA 7.5 twist
7-08 AI 8 twist Brux
7-08 AI 8.5 twist Broughton

Waiting on dies for the 7-08 so I can FF brass.
Might FF some brass for the BRA barrels and work up a Vapor Trail load but I'm kind of more interested in getting the 7-08 AI up and running for a bad conditions / heavy gun.

I plan on shooting 4-6 IBS 600 yard matches in MN late summer after the Deep Creek season is done then shooting the IBS 600 yard Nationals in MN in October.

Dave

Re: New to me!

Reply #1
Forgot to add the only reason he sold it was so he could build more rifles on newer platforms to test so he could give valid opinions on other equipment.
Dave

Reply #2
Looks great!  Did Alex build that one Dave?  What 7mm bullet would you run?

Robin

Reply #3
Looks great!  Did Alex build that one Dave?  What 7mm bullet would you run?

Robin

No Shawn Williams at North Ridge Rifles built and won with it.

I picked up 1000 of the 180 Hybrids from Blue Collar, Shawn said the 180s or the 184s both shot well and the 180s were on sale.
Dave

Reply #4
Loaded up to form some 6 BRA brass for the morning. Supposed to be almost no wind until noon so I'll see how long I can play hookie!

The 7-08 AI die has shipped so I'll be busy next week!
Dave

Reply #5
So according to the pictures above I mounted that scope on the 19th and laid it on the kitchen table looking for something to boresight it on. About 100 yards out there was a steel fencepost with a white top that I used to boresight the scope.

First pic is the first five shots with no scope corrections. Bet I never get that close again.

Second pic is the newly formed BRA cases and according to my measurements they should shoot in my Borden and the Bordens in the 🐼. Nice!

Used 29.5 g RL 15 with 105 HVLD bullets with 400 primers. Jammed .006 and had 0 problems. All went like they should and the brass blew out very nice.

Dave

Reply #6
Awesome! 
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #8
I forgot to add after fireforming this set of BRA brass I put the barrel in a viper barrel vise then inserted a rear entry action wrench and broke it loose from the barrel cleaned up a 7-08 improved barrel and screwed it on.

No scope removal or any of that business. Torqued it to 70 ft lb and went to making brass for the 7mm-08 brass. Makes a Savage barrel swap look like rocket surgery.

When I fired the first shot with the scope unchanged the 7-08s were hitting 6" high and 1" right,quick correction and done.
Dave

Reply #9
Here's a pic from 100 yard fireforming 7-08 cases into improved with the 168 VLDs and 39 g rl 15

10-15 rounds in that hole next to the 1" bull.
Dave

Reply #10
What???!!!
That's pretty extraordinary grouping...
How fast is the load?

Reply #11
2615 avg. SD 7.3 ES 25
Dave