Skip to main content
Topic: Hornady's "other" 6.5 Creedmoor (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic

Hornady's "other" 6.5 Creedmoor

I've ordered a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC which I feel is a "6.5 CM magnum".

Since I live in Nevada distances to game are a lot longer than when I lived in western Pennsylvania so I'm going with this new cartridge. Yeah, I realize there is the 6.5/284 and the 6.5 SAUM but they are difficult to find and even brass is often hard to find for reloading. Plus the 6.5PRC is less of a barrel burner so I can use it for our local "varmint/hunter" steel competition without needing a new barrel every 700 shots. This competition is where we shoot at little MOA size targets (i.e. 3" x 3" at 300 yards, 6" x  6" at 600 yards, etc. to 960 yards).

With Hornady behind it think the 6.5 PRC will become quite popular for hunting, especially in western states. More rifle makers are building rifles for the 6.5 PRC which will serve to increase its popularity.

So how many others here either have 6.5 PRC rifles or are getting the itch to buy one?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Re: Hornady's "other" 6.5 Creedmoor

Reply #1
You should have some fun with the PRC.
I passed on the 65 PRC and even the 65 Saum. Looked at a 7 rem mag, 7 saum. Went straight for a 284 Win.

Reply #2
Eric just so you know 6.5x284 components are abundant.. and burning the barrel out at 700 rounds is laughable.. my shilen has 700 plus rounds down it and from what I'm seeing through a bore scope suggest it has 700 more at least left in it.. so claiming the 6.5x284 is toast at 700 round is unjustified.. I'm happy for you for trying the 6.5 prc.. hope it serves your needs well.. the 6.5x284 is mine.. cut them moa targets you speak of in half and at least make it a challenge for ya.. 🙂
Grant

Reply #3
I'm currently using ADG brass.  I believe they also make 6.5 PRC brass for Gunwerks. Velocity and SD's are very good, mostly in the single digits. ES in the teens half the time.

If you're running the 147 ELDM around 3035fps, barrel should last ~1300 rnds.  this is from only one reference so YMMV.

I'm trying to get to ~2925, but with RL23 I'm already roughly .6 grains over max published data @ 2870.
Factory ammo, i have two lots. one was a bit slow, but since the barrel has sped up, it's hitting advertised velocity from a 24" bbl.  On Sunday chronoed the slow factory and got 2900fps.  the 2nd lot gave me 2942fps.

Pls let us know how that Xbolt performs in 6.5 PRC.

I'm also waiting for the new ARC Archimedes...will be building a 300PRC on that.

Reply #4
Dd what are you trying to get to 2925 fps with. The 6.5 prc?
Grant

Reply #5
Dd what are you trying to get to 2925 fps with. The 6.5 prc?

You mean powder?  RL23
Primer - BR2
Bullet - 147 ELD-M
Brass - ADG

I would be happy around 2900fps, but looks like i'll have to try H1000 or RL26.  I'll shoot another 100 rnds and see if the barrel will speed up more.  Rifle's at 215 total rounds.  175 reloads and 35 factory rounds.

Reply #6
I meant what caliber. The 6.5 prc or the 6.5x284? I use the re 23 in my 6.5x284 with the 147 eldm's.. pushing them at 3080 fps.
Grant

Reply #7
Yes, 6.5 PRC.  What barrel length are you running?

Sweet gman!  3080 is fast!

Reply #8
26 inch shilen select match barrel... lapua cases.. no pressure signs...im a big fan of the re23 powder in it... its one of my favorite carts... I assumed the 6.5 prc would hit 3050 to 3100 with ease but sounds like my assumption is wrong from what your seeing...
Grant

Reply #9
Litehiker: I have a 6.5mm Creedmoor. I picked it up right before the crazy swept the Lower 48. It’s a go-to rifle where I hunt. Long shots (300-500 yards) are as common as 50-100 yard shots. All this means I think the 6.5 PRC is goi g to be seen as the higher horsepower version of the Creedmoor. If I didn’t something in that caliber, I think I’d sure consider it.
308 Win - 300 Win Mag
243 Win - 240 Weatherby
223 Rem - 22 Nosler
6.5mm Creedmoor - 6.5 PRC
Still, I’m glad to see new cartridges. It means someone who has nothing in the caliber area has another good choice.
I don't want the enemy captured. I want them dead.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #10
26 inch shilen select match barrel... lapua cases.. no pressure signs...im a big fan of the re23 powder in it... its one of my favorite carts... I assumed the 6.5 prc would hit 3050 to 3100 with ease but sounds like my assumption is wrong from what your seeing...

Is that a custom barrel with custom chamber?  My Seekins is suppose to have Rock Creek barrel at 24".  I also noticed my chamber neck diameter is on the bigger side. 
Loaded round neck diameter is 0.294, after firing it grows to 0.299.  difference of 0.005".  For comparison my AIAX in 6.5CM has a fired neck case diameter of 0.294", loaded neck diameter is 0.292, difference of 0.002"

I wonder, can this cause velocity drop up to 50-100fps?

I'm at least happy that factory ammo velocity is as advertise or a bit better, depending on the lot#

With RL26 or H1K, 3000+fps should be achievable

Reply #11
Long live the 7mm's.....

Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #12
gman,
Good to hear the 6.5/284 will go well over 1,00 rounds. I was repeating what a local gunsmith told me. It's possible his source was someone who pushed the velocity beyond reason and had problems.

Also my Browning X-Bolt Pro has a stainless steel barrel and that should give me a bit more life.
But unless someone comes out with a "miracle powder" I am pretty sure my best nodes with 147 ELD-M bullets will be below 3,000 fps., like 2,930 or thereabouts.

I'm not sure how that slim, fluted 24"  barrel will do after 5 quick shots. If it wanders then I'll fall back on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle for the local hunter's competition. It's MOA sized steel squares from 200 yards to 900 yards. Not easy but they give you a lot of time for each distance. Maybe my X-Bolt barrel will have time to cool between relays.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #13
Eric B.
Go for it.  I was tempted by the 6.5 and 30 PRC sirens, but studied and ciphered, and ciphered and studied and declined.  Have settled into complete contentment for taking deer and antelope sized game out to 400 with 6.5 CM.  My self imposed limit because of retained bullet energy.  Am a hard, callous, combat decorated, two-legged killin' sum bitch.  But, I but have a lot of respect for  God's four-legged creatures and want my target dead, right there.  Have taken a few whitetails in south Texas 300+. Have only taken two pronghorns, both in NM, first at 300 and last year's at 266 lasered.  You have made a great choice of rifle and caliber. Keep us posted.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #14
The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are not the same case. I think Hornady messed up a little calling them something similar as it causes confusion. The 300 PRC is not just the 6.5 PRC necked up. It is a larger case for heavier .30 bullets. Here is a pic of the 300 on the left and 6.5 on the right.