Skip to main content
Topic: Trimmer (Read 202 times) previous topic - next topic

Trimmer

I getting tired of having 3 steps to do when trimming.

What do I need to be looking at?  Henderson?  Gauraud?  21st century ( i have the lathe)? Has anyone gotva rcbs tri way to work on a  Wilson?

The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

Re: Trimmer

Reply #1
Regnar,

I can only say what I tried. I still have my Frankford Arsenal station which is what I started with, that is a 3 stage affair. After being seduced by Forstner, I went with their trimmer lathe and a 3-way trimmer head. That got me to a single stage trimmer and chamfer. But I was ruining brass by over trimming, I posted about that here and the consensus is I most likely have a bad collet.

So, I'm going to give the Wilson trimmer a shot, then use my Frankford for chamfer. Once I see how that goes I may try replacing the Forsner collet and comparing the results with the Wilson/Frankford.

After all that said I probably didn't help you much :(
Chris

Reply #2
Giraud is awesome.  I make quick work of 2-300 cases.  Stupid fast yet precise.

Reply #3
Giraud is top of the heap when it comes to trimmers and mine is a close second. I have a Dead On Trimmer mounted on a motor and it is super easy to adjust and turn out hundred of exact cases in minutes.

I had a dream! Free at last, Free at last! Moving to Idaho

Reply #4
Cap'n… does that unit accept different inserts for various cases or you just get a whole new head for each cartridge?  If one has only a couple of chamberings to trim it may be cheaper than a Giraud even if a new head has to be purchased for each.

Reply #6
I have a Frankfort arsenal trimmer also.  I got it because of the universal case trim features, but soon found that it was a strain on my arthritic hands.  Pinching the brass cramped my fingers and hurt for days.  I worked up a holder from rubber gas line with stops to let the brass slide in just enough to grip it (the brass).  I made the tubing long enough to grip it with my whole hand.  This worked better than pinching the brass to hold it in the trimmer, but still became uncomfortable.  I have added a big ball of tape about the size of a sizing press knob which distributes the pressure over my whole hand.  I push the tube onto the base of the brass in a loading tray and hold it through the trim and chamfer stages  I then pop it out with my other hand.  When I get tired, I switch hands.  All this helps, but I will probably have to go back to the old hand crank trimmer.  Life goes on and forces changes.  Enjoy it while you can.

Reply #7
Dillon 1200 over here. Little Crow for my “to hit very small things” rifles.

Reply #8
Giraud power trimmer for the high volume semi’s and a Wilson/Sinclair micrometer trimmer for the bolt bolt guns.

Reply #9
Probably safe to say that all of us are obsessive and/or passionate perfectionists and can generally find fault with even the highest-end gear.  That said I am very content with the Giraud.  Easy to change calibers, easy to clean and fast and easy to use.  No complaints.

Henryrifle