Skip to main content
Topic: Lapua and the annealeez (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic

Lapua and the annealeez

Just annealed 50 6.5x284 lapua cases and thought they was so pretty I would share.. :D
Grant

Re: Lapua and the annealeez

Reply #1
Those look a bit overdone gman, you should send them all to me for testing, lol

Nice job!
Chris

Reply #2
He does all the grilling around his house.
G, how do you decide how long you keep them in the flame?
I know on their website, usually 5-6 sec and others say just as they
turn color.  It varies by brand also.
Whats your way to determine their done?

Reply #3
you are right Gregg.. it does vary by brand... the Hornady cases I want them to come out of the flame just as they start to turn orange... takes about 6 seconds for that to happen with my bottle of propane... the lapua never started to turn orange but I kicked them out of the flame at 7 seconds...whether their right or not I don't know... but they look just like they did when I took them out of the box new... I sized them with a forster fl die and checked 25 of them for shoulder bump and every one was bumped .0015.. so I think their good to go.. :)
Grant

Reply #4
With my dual torch, use temp stick to make sure I don't overheat down the case, and heat one to orange flame, then speed up my timer to arrive at no orange flame. With Hornady brass my target time is 5 seconds just before getting an orange flame. Grant those look very nice indeed!!

Reply #5
I time mine to stop cooking just as the flame starts to hint at turning color.
Now as far as BBQ goes it is right in there with annealing!
BTW I now have an Aneeleze to go with my Bench Source Vertex since my brother passed away this year. I am able to anneal to my heart's desire now!
I had a dream! Free at last, Free at last! Moving to Idaho

Reply #6
I use Tempilaq 750 when annealing rifle brass.

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Reply #7
I always set up the Annealeze at night.  With the lights off, you can easily see when the flame starts burning tin and turning orange.  Then I just back off the time very slightly from that.  It's generally in the 5-5.5 second range for Hornady brass.  I also check the anneal by squeezing the neck of a case with pliers.  It's not as scientific as I would like, but it does seem to be repeatable.  I don't have issues with splitting and never have to adjust my resizing die to get the same shoulder position.  I normally use brass about 10-12 times and cull them by primer pocket looseness.

One thing I did learn with the Annealeze is that you have to let it run a bit before using it so the little propane bottle reaches a stable temperature.  Otherwise the flame will constantly be getting smaller on you.  I have considered adding a regulator and larger bottle to eliminate this, but just letting it run a while before using seems to work ok.

Reply #8
I got tired of the little bottles so did a two torch 20lb er setup. Like it so far. Need to make an aluminum version.

Reply #9
I got tired of the little bottles so did a two torch 20lb er setup. Like it so far. Need to make an aluminum version.
Is that with an Annealeez? I have been wanting to do that. Do you have a picture or two, by chance?

Reply #10
Is that with an Annealeez? I have been wanting to do that. Do you have a picture or two, by chance?
Nope made a dual torch setup from wood, use my iPhone and a  deep socket and drill.  Works excellent.  Adjust the flame to get near that 5 seconds mark and tweak with the iPhone metronome app, the time in flame. ( before orange flame)