News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

First custom build (6.5 SAUM)

Started by SwampDog_13, June 10, 2019, 06:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDog_13

Well it may not be a creedmoor variety but it's still a 6.5 ;) . I had the guys over at short action customs put this masterpiece together for me and I think they nailed it. Mark and his crew were great to work with throughout the process and always quick to respond to my requests and questions. Relative lightweight for packing out but still able to handle steel shooting days since that will be where it spends most of its life were the goals for the build. I'd also be a liar if I said I wasn't after a little bit of the "cool" factor as well. After all it is my first custom gun.

Now to get this bad girl broke in and brass fire formed to start the load development.

rardoin

What twist is the barrel?  What bullet weight are you planning on running?

SwampDog_13

1-8" .120" freebore .2962" neck, I plan on shooting in the 140-147 grain range for steel and plan on developing a load with the hammer hunter 124gn and a 140gn Berger load for game. These plans may change throughout the development but as of right now that's where I'm headed with it.

Litehiker

Why not a 1:7.5 or 1:7 twist for the heavier bullets?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

SwampDog_13

Looking back at it now, if I was doing it again I would have gone with the 7.5 twist so I could use the heavier monos. The 8 twist should be fine with traditional bullets sans the 156gn if Berger ever even makes it. I think so at least.

Thedutchman

You have a good one right there! Color me impressed.

SwampDog_13

Thank you dutch, short action customs definitely hit the proverbial nail on the head with what I was after.

Just realized I never listed any of the specs other than the chamber specs. In case anyone is interested:

Manners EH1 swamp camo
24" proof sendero
Badger ordnance bottom metal
Triggertech special curved
ARC M10 rings low
Vortex razor amg

SwampDog_13

Got her all dressed up ready to go. Working through the weekend but hopefully I can get out Monday to let her eat a little bit.

SwampDog_13

Well I got my hands on 400 of the 156gn Berger elite hunters. Initial testing is promising, barrel is still speeding up at 111 rounds but I'd suspect I'll hit 3050fps no problem. I set up at 300yds for the test but after the first shot I quickly realized I brought with me and hung the wrong steel. 1/4" ar500 was not happy with what it got smacked with, can't believe I grabbed the wrong one. I'm nstead of ruining the steel for an 11 shot pressure test I just sent the next 10 into the berm for velocity readings.