Skip to main content
Topic: Ready for first Load! last second questions (Read 484 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ready for first Load! last second questions

Reply #30
I'm not saying the test is bad. I'm saying the best load likely is not the low es/SD load but one with a little spread that is tuned for positive compensation.

You often hear people say the best load wasn't the best es/SD.

Positive compensation! The target Trump's the Chrono.
Dave

Reply #31
I'm not saying the test is bad. I'm saying the best load likely is not the low es/SD load but one with a little spread that is tuned for positive compensation.

You often hear people say the best load wasn't the best es/SD.

Positive compensation! The target Trump's the Chrono.

I generally load three of each load and record the SD and ES, but also keep the photo of the target showing groups.  The problem is, you can get a randomly good or bad groups or SD by shear chance with three shots.  So, then I load up 5 of each loading that I think looks interesting and take them back to the range.  Most of the time I end up using one of these and then tweaking the jump a bit.  The best load for me may not be the absolute best group or the absolutely lowest SD, but some combination that seems consistent.  Generally, I'm looking for mag length loads that will hold about 0.4 moa from 300-1100 yds for PRS style shooting with a wide enough node to stay consistent when I load 200 of them for an outing.

Reply #32
6.5 creedmoor
Load development
Day one. 10 shot ladder plus 5 rounds to verify the node.
Day 2 five rounds to confirm the node
 is good.
No changes to seating depth
One ragged hole at a 100
Multiple 1/4 minute groups at 300 and 430 yards since
Load work done a month ago.
Results this evening .
8 to 10 mph wind from 5 oclock. Target 430 yards. Hornady brass. H4350 powder. 140 gr. Berger hybrids .. 3 shot group. Works for me.. 😁

I should add I couldn't tell you what the es and sd numbers are. I'm with Dave the target dictates the load.
Grant

Reply #33
Shooting a target over a chronograph is a good thing. So you can see that numbers don’t always dictate group size. However, smaller numbers will more often give you a good group than very large numbers giving you a better group. I hope that came out right.
Less than 25 ft per sec is good number for E.S.
A Single digit STD. is also a very good thing.
More often than not a lower E.S. Will give you a better group.

The point of impact is, I think, an overlooked indicator of a good group too. I know, I know we can zero a rifle after we see how and where a groups location is on a target.
Groups coming in and out of nodes will shift  up, down, left, right of point of aim.
Basically, if you have to choose between a  node giving you a .25 inch group that’s an inch high of Point of aim AND another node that gives you the same .25 inch group but has not moved from POA....then the latter charge is the winner.

I hope my rambling makes sense. What do y’all think? Is this a rationale one could use?

Reply #34
Thedutchman: groups moving around is usually because of charge weights changing- more or less powder in the case when you are finally in the node..

So yeah it doesn't matter where the .25 group is on the target- Its more of are you shooting the Velocity you are looking for. After you are happy with velocity it just a matter of move the scope- Up, Down, Left or Right.. Well I think that gets at what you were asking on which is a better group- I think " there both great" and velocity is what's moving you around the target..
Marvin