Skip to main content
Topic: Pink Panther's first kill! (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pink Panther's first kill!

Reply #15
I've not performed any ladder tests yet as it was only shot at 300yds until Friday pm before the match and I was doing a last minute seating depth test at the comp range (seated them all long and brought my gauges/arbor press).  This was a really last minute deal and was really hesitant to shoot the new gun in championship match...I got really lucky.  The reason for the above was due to the flexibility and the barrel striking the cross brace on the fore arm rails.  Before it was modified it only took a few lbs of pressure a few inches back of the muzzle to deflect the barrel enough to hit the crossbrace and the stock.  Unfortunately I did not realize that until a few days before this match.  LOL about the 'pool noodle'!  Not an inaccurate description.  It also severely rotated in the front rest upon recoil according to the two other fellows on my squad.  They were quite dismayed but the friggin thing hammered over the entire match...shooting at a moderate pace or shooting 2 sighters and my 20 record shots in about 6 minutes in the last match.  It did track well in that as soon as I slid it forward against the stop I had less than 2-3" adjustment of POA to set up the next shot....nearly half the time the cross-hairs were exactly where the last shot broke; I would say it tracks well.  The 8.5 twist barrel and the 184's would induce a bit of torque that would account for twisting moment but it is a right twist barrel and they said only the left rail was lifting on recoil which is contrary to my expectations.  I may need to tighten the left side bag a little to give more friction to help with the lift but at this point I hate to change too much; hard to argue with it's performance.

Reply #16
Pretty similar to Shawn's description. Once you get accustomed to it good to go!
Dave

Reply #17
Fuj, as far as the March High Master scope I can't make a valid assessment as it has little time on it and only at 300yds in later evening conditions.  It definitely has a brighter image and is sharper than the 10-60 x52's that I have.  I would expect it to be brighter due to the larger objective even if it had the same quality of glass/coatings though.  I hope to have it on this weekend for further testing in fired cases.  If it appears to have any wonkiness I will put on the scope checker and see if the reticle is moving under recoil and if it tracks appropriately.

Robin

Reply #18
Back down in AZ from SD, catching up.  Congrats Robin and it is so you helping out us new guys.  :)

Reply #19
Robin, tried to send you a private message but your inbox was full.  lg

Reply #22
Sorry, I've been incommunicado for a while.  I've been working on buying/moving into a new home.  Between that and a busy work schedule I barely have had time to come up for air ;) .  Larry got in touch with me through AS pm (I've been on there trying to rustle up a  team for the Berger SW Nationals in a few weeks).  We plan on meeting out in Phoenix at the event.

Robin

Reply #23
Sorry, I've been incommunicado for a while.  I've been working on buying/moving into a new home.  Between that and a busy work schedule I barely have had time to come up for air ;) .  Larry got in touch with me through AS pm (I've been on there trying to rustle up a  team for the Berger SW Nationals in a few weeks).  We plan on meeting out in Phoenix at the event.

Robin

I saw your effort there to assemble a team. Glad it worked out and Good Luck!
Dave

Reply #24
Thanks Dave.  I've been scrambling between the new house/old house and work and I will have minimal time to get a load confirmed for Phoenix.  It's going to be a hectic few weeks.  I'll have to shoot a high time but safe barrel as I did not have time to shoot in a new barrel I have.  Hell, the rifle barrel has been ready for a couple of weeks and I have not had time to drive 30 miles to get it...VERY not like me ;D .

Reply #25
I've been getting some testing in but we are basically in the clutches of winter so it's going to be tough the next 30 days to get anything tested out.
Dave

Reply #26
I've been getting some testing in but we are basically in the clutches of winter so it's going to be tough the next 30 days to get anything tested out.

South Louisiana 'clutches of winter'.....LOL

Reply #27
Man that’s some wonderful weather for this time of the year. I’m glad you don’t have to drop your plans for Phoenix. 👍

Reply #28
This year has been a bit milder than usual.  Cold weather is coming next week however; it is supposed to get into the mid 30's!  EEK!
 :)   I really wish I would have prepped my rounds in late November but I took a little break at the end of the season.  Phoenix rolled around much quicker than I expected.

Reply #29
30* would be a vaca here.
Dave