Skip to main content
Topic: Cartridge of choice for competition  (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic

Cartridge of choice for competition

I was reading about 3-4 months ago about the new cartridge of choice for competition but I forgot what the article said. What is the cartridge of choice now for competition?
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

Re: Cartridge of choice for competition

Reply #1
What competition?

Always will be the newest and latest coming out but if you have one that is doing the job it's best to practice more then chasing calibers.

Reply #2
I've heard rumors that some weird odd caliber called a 6.5 Creedmoor will be the next hottest thing to hit the range. But I think it's just a rumor. Gun people are worse than fishermen when it comes to spreading lies and telling tall tales. :))
IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.

Reply #3
What competition?

Always will be the newest and latest coming out but if you have one that is doing the job it's best to practice more then chasing calibers.

Yes Sir !!.....  Had my ass handed to me at yesterdays match by
one of my shooting partners. I'll make no excuses, because things
were going more then well for me with my 6.5 Creed. An old
school 6.5 Remington won the day with 105 Bergers. 1955 is about
when this cartridge came out !!  Like I always like to say....Beware
the old bastard that shows up with a rusty pipe, mounted to a 2x4.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #4
Since I started shooting F-Class the "IT" cartridge has gone from 6.5-284 to Win. 284 to 284 Shehane, and now I hear rumors of the 300 WSM and/or 300 RSAUM.  With heavier bullets and faster twists thrown into the mix a person can go broke trying to catch up with the right combination of cartridge, bullet, barrel twist, improved chamber, etc.  I can not afford to play that game so have long since settled on 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 gr bullets preferably Berger Hybrids, Lapua brass, CCI BR-2 primers, H4350 about 41.6 grs. at about 2835-2885 fps depending on the barrel and where I am shooting.  I have all the stuff I need to do this until I can't get down in prone anymore, hopefully a few more years into the future.  Others are welcome to do whatever makes them happy.