Skip to main content
Topic: My rifle needs a diet (Read 157 times) previous topic - next topic

My rifle needs a diet

I used a 22" Ballistic Advantage barrel, it weighs 76oz bare. I am currently looking for a lighter barrel, Faxon has some 16" barrels that are in the 32oz range. I am wondering what I can expect accuracy wise chopping 6" off of the barrel?

Thanks
Darryle
NRA Life Member  GOA Life Member  NSCA Life Member

Re: My rifle needs a diet

Reply #1
I think accuracy wise there will be no disadvantage and you could possibly see an improvement. I think once you get below 20" you will see some significant velocity loss.

@Cold Trigger Finger cut one that short and seems happy with it.
Dave

Reply #2
No difference in accuracy you will loss some speed.  

Reply #3
No difference in accuracy you will loss some speed.  

Even better, I sold that heavy sob and built an upper using a AR15 Performance 22" barrel, it was half the weight
Darryle

Reply #4
Much nicer and lighter. I can't knock the Ballistic Advantage barrels, they are accurate, but generally heavy. I have a 223 Wylde BA that is way more accurate than just about anyone behind the trigger, but it is heavier than I like, but I will never sell it. The 6.5 was way too heavy for me. I bought this barrel here and it is a shooter with just about anything I have tried. I only had a few handfuls of various ammo, a box of the Hornady 140gr ELD-M and a few hundred 6.5 Speedmore from Custom Reloads of Dallas. The few I had multiples of all shot under an 1", but barely. The Speedmore is a 140gr Speer Hot-Cor SP that I had him load especially for hunting and it was surprisingly accurate. Enough so that I want to stretch it out to about 400yds. I rarely shoot beyond 250yds at the lease and I am limited to 90yds at the farm, but usually 75yds to the feeder from the stand.
Darryle