Skip to main content
Topic: Latest Builds (Read 594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Latest Builds

Reply #15
How hard was it to find a decent load for the 6mm Grendel AR? I have a 6.5 Grendel and I've been considering changing it to 6mm to see how it would work.  Any input from your experience would be great.

Reply #16
Windsage, I have not been disappointed with building a 6mm Grendel for both the AR and the Bolt rifles I have.  I put together the AR with a 28" X-Caliber barrel with a +2" buffer port and an adjustable gas block.  The Bolt is based on a Savage Action also with an X-Caliber barrel.  X-caliber refers to this caliber as 243 LBC.  I have been pleased with the performance of both barrels from X-Caliber and would recommend giving them a try.

This turned into a journey for me beyond building the rifles.  Your experience may be different based on where you are starting from....you may already know most of what I had to discover.  I have been reloading for some years but had not done something where the brass and dies didn't already exist.  So in loading for 6mm Grendel required necking down brass and finding or building the right die set.  For the AR, I found using a Redding 6.5 Grendel neck sizing die with changes to the ball and neck bushing worked well.  It provided the extra neck tension that was needed for the AR.  I use a 6.5 Grendel seating die.   For the bolt rifle where I really needed to control the neck tension, I could not get the results I wanted with the above dies.  So I had Lee build a 6mm Grendel mandrel neck sizing die for me.  This has helped the most.  The last point that I'm addressing is the need to trim the outside of the neck down to the shoulder.  When reducing the neck, I was not able to get all the way down to the intersection of the shoulder....so this area needed to be trimmed.

Anyway, I am pleased with were it all ended.  I'm able to get 105g Berger Hybrids out of the barrel at a MV of around 2720fps, which is a good speed for that size cartridge.

Bob

Reply #17
Lot of thought, ingenuity, and work there. I bet it was satisfying to tackle the challenge and win! Thanks for sharing.

Reply #18
I now understand why Grant has been so positive regarding the accuracy of the 6mm CM.  I am seeing mine just getting better and better.  I finally got to go out the range this morning and took the 6mm CM and 6mm Grendel out.  I wanted to do a load workup for the CM with some new Bart's 105g bullets at 200 yards and wanted to stretch the Grendel out to 300 yards with the Berger 105g Hybrids.  The green target is the CM and the blue target is the Grendel.  I also thru in a photo of the Grendel.  I'm pretty pleased with how both rifles have turned out.

I am a big Savage fan, but to be honest, the 6mm CM built off of the Bighorn Rem Action is really nice.  It is much smoother to operate and the Triggertech trigger is really nice.  I get the benefit of using Savage barrels with a much improved action....pretty sweat.
Bob

Reply #19
bob that is impressive shooting...looks like the barts bullets are flying well...its a shame the barrel life on the 6creed isn't a little more like the 6.5 but it is a laser...
Grant

Reply #20
Nice rifle and shooting Bob. I've wanted a Bighorn for ages now for the exact reasons you described.

Nice smooth action, Remington stocks and triggers combined with the availability of Savage prefits seems like a DIY guys dream!
Dave