Skip to main content
Topic: extremely happy AR10 - 6.5 creedmoor rifle (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic

extremely happy AR10 - 6.5 creedmoor rifle

I finally am making a report on my recent build .... Matrix Aerospace upper/lower AR10, with Ballistic Advantage 22" , SIG Tango4 6x24 glass, 8 twisty barrel - 6.5 CM  with rockriver 2 stage trigger, nothing else matters!
Yesterday at the range with friends....  shooting 1000 yrds in 50 deg. weather.  Load was as follows:
Brass:  once fired Hornady 6.5 cm
Powder with charge:  RL16,  41.8 gr.
Primer:  CCI - 43 - Military primer
Bullet - Hornady 140 BTHP
COAL - 2.810"
Speed over chrono and Labradar  2740 fps
Wind- the most unpredictable I have ever seen,  Mirage would go Left to Right horizontal then switch Right to left then die out. 
Dope: 29MOA drop. 3.5 MOA wind..... consistant 1k hits on steel, (7 in a row from bench with bipod and rear bag)  what a day.... confirmed with remote video cameras.
I hope this encourages others to get out there and go for the gold!   Keep shooting my friends.
Oh, BTW,  I am a retired LEO with lousy vision and cafine shakes.

Re: extremely happy AR10 - 6.5 creedmoor rifle

Reply #1
its a awesome feeling when you can ring that bell way out there like that... way to go man...
Grant

Reply #2
Snaploader;
Welcome to the Creedmoor forum !
  That's some good shootin!  Great advice too !
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #3
*** UPDATE for those following my initial post....

Had 2 range days in the last week.... I have eliminated my destruction of brass by adding a little more buffer weight.  I am now running 5.8 oz. buffer, which has eliminated eject swipes!!!!  ;)  ;)  ;)

I continued using my previous loads of 41.8 gr. of RL16 with CCI34 primers and averaged mv 2760fps.  Accuracy stayed great!  On a whim, I tried some of my 'extreme bolt action loads' of 47.8 gr. of RL26 behind a Hornady 147 ELDM, got mid 2800's but to my surprise....NO EJECTOR swipes..... whoa hooo!  Happy camper!

Just a thought to share with this wonderful group!

Reply #4
Your ar10 sounds like a great shooter , my next build is going to be an ar10 6.5 creedmoor.
Just finished my 1st complete 6.5 grendel. Now on to my long range rig ar10 ;)
Nice to have a gun that is a shooter, sweet when you put it together. Nicely done.

Reply #5
Good luck, my only advice is don't throw money at it unnecesarily...the most expensive parts are sometimes not the best parts.  Do your research and your end result will be favorable.

Reply #6
Good luck, my only advice is don't throw money at it unnecesarily...the most expensive parts are sometimes not the best parts.  Do your research and your end result will be favorable.

How True !!
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952