Skip to main content
Topic: Forster Co Ax in stock at MidwayUSA (Read 716 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Forster Co Ax in stock at MidwayUSA

Reply #30
I know this is a debatable subject but for me I want the same seating depth in the same pocket depth in every round.

Let's Debate !!  From a mechanical standpoint, with a positive
stop, and absolutely no flex in the loading apparatus, you should
be good to go, But that only covers the outside primer dimension.
It's the internal dimension, why anal bench rest shooters prefer to
hand prime. If your using primers like BR2's the quality control
should better be good enough for a mechanical stop. As for others,
you may be crushing the anvil into the primer mix, on a few, and of
course scratch our heads about that once in a while unexplained
flier.....It just all boils done to what method your satisfied with, and
with the components used.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #31
Glad I asked. I suppose it would only make sense to try the co ax priming, since I already own it. Have a Rcbs hand priming tool which is set up for small primers. Kinda nice to not change parts when switching calibers although it looks mandatory with no shell holders on the co ax. Just different procedures. I’ll give it a try.
Funny, someone a long time ago recommended the hand priming, but I really didn’t find it superior over the tube method on the rockchucker. I could feel the primers seating and hitting bottom on the press as well as the feel of when case pockets get loose.

Reply #32
I switched to the RCBS auto bench primer for convenience.  Not necessarily speed if that makes sense.  I'm not in a hurry when I reload.  I don't reload for production or math that involves time and $ per round.  I reload because I enjoy it.  I think my 1k rounds of 45 ACP that I primed on the Co-Ax gave me a good experience and I feel good about moving on to something else. 

Reply #33
Let's Debate !!  From a mechanical standpoint, with a positive
stop, and absolutely no flex in the loading apparatus, you should
be good to go, But that only covers the outside primer dimension.
It's the internal dimension, why anal bench rest shooters prefer to
hand prime. If your using primers like BR2's the quality control
should better be good enough for a mechanical stop. As for others,
you may be crushing the anvil into the primer mix, on a few, and of
course scratch our heads about that once in a while unexplained
flier.....It just all boils done to what method your satisfied with, and
with the components used.
Not sure I get what you’re saying about internal dimension but I can tell you that the Co-ax is absolutely fool proof and if the operator is consistent primers will be set to the exact same depth to the half thousandth in relation to the base of the cartridge. I also agree w Jerry in that seating by “feel” is a BR anal albatross.
I use my K&M hand primer not because of feel, but because I can control the seating depth with the threads, like a bullet and a seater die.

I hear the really good hand loaders can control the bullet seating depth by feel tho lol
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #34
how critical is primer seating depth ?  I prime with a lee auto prime set up on a lee turret press... its easy... its fast... it works great... but I bottom the primer out when seating... is that a bad thing ?
Grant

Reply #35
That's a great question Grant. I use the Frankford Arsenal tool which seats the primers to the same depth from the bottom of the case, at least that's how I understand it. I guess to the extent pockets could be different the primers may bottom out or not. Never really thought about it before.
Chris

Reply #36
I think what is most important is reliable, consistent ignition. If what the shooter is doing with seating primers yields their wanted results then why change what works?
RIP Chris Cornell