Skip to main content
Topic: New Rifle Issues (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Rifle Issues

Reply #15
i thought about the heavier carbine buffer as well. I run a fairly wet bolt not drench by any means I keep it a good light coat of Lucas oil extreme duty on it

Reply #16
How many rounds fired?

Issue could be.
It needs to ware in.
Burr is gas port of barrel.
Gas block miss alianed with gas port.
AR-15 rifle gas tube used instead of 1/4” longer AR-10 tube some manufacturers use.

Reply #17
Some things to try.
Take BCG out of gun with the bolt in the down or battery position use a straight screwdriver and push ejector button down should be quite a bit of spring tension. Then with the bolt up or eject position use screwdriver and push extraction claw out agian it should have a lot of spring tension but it should move a little.

Reply #18
If this were mine, I'd break the bolt down.  Remove extractor and ejector.

Ensure that the ejector moves freely in the tunnel.  Ensure that there's adequate spring tension and make sure it protrudes from the bolt face adequately.

Then I'd check the extractor claw for burrs or sharp edges.  The hook should be smooth.  If it wasn't, I'd break any sharp edges with a jewellers file and slightly polish any rough areas.

Gotta be the claw or ejector.  Somethings not kicking those cases out or the case rim is hung up under the extractor.

Disassembling an ar bolt isn't technically challenging, but you almost need 3 hands to do it.  You have to compress the ejector into the bolt face to remove the pin that retains it.  I use a c-clamp, cut down case (just the case head) and a 1/4" piece of plastic.  Put bolt in c-clamp, plastic sliver goes between bolt tail and clamp, place case head on bolt head and begin tightening clamp while holding it in place.  Once compressed, drive out retaining pin.  Loosen slowly and capture ejector as it starts to come out.

Reply #19
Your gas port on the barrel is most likely too small. I’ve been down this road with Aero/Ballistic Advantage. Yes, you need a high pressure bolt. I highly recommend Toolcraft for your BCG. Adjustable gas block will also help.

Take off your gas block and have it measured. Should be.085 (at least)

Again I had similar problems, FTF/FTE and poor ejection.

MS

Reply #20
Klw 11 ;
 Welcome to the Creedmoor forum !
 Seems like your getting great help !
 This thread is an education for me that's for sure !
 I just made my first foray into ARs this winter.
 But I got a pre assembled PSA M4 style upper and complete lower parts kit and a stripped lower.  556x45.
 It's been 100% since I assembled it so I'm very thankful !
 But I can now at least intelligently follow the discussion 😦
  Did you try the bcg from your 308 ? When you compare the 2 bolts, do you see any difference in the extractor and ejector between the 2 ?
 Have you tried shooting the 6.5 with the 308 bcg in the 6.5 upper ?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #21
Your gas port on the barrel is most likely too small. I’ve been down this road with Aero/Ballistic Advantage. Yes, you need a high pressure bolt. I highly recommend Toolcraft for your BCG. Adjustable gas block will also help.

Take off your gas block and have it measured. Should be.085 (at least)

Again I had similar problems, FTF/FTE and poor ejection.

MS

I'd think it was gas too, but he's got the bolt locked back with a case stuck in the bolt face.  That shouldn't happen...that case should've been kicked out even with a gas issue/slow bcg velocity.

He may have a gas problem, but he won't know until he addresses the issue with the bolt.  It'd be easier if he had a spare bolt to try.

Reply #22
JP high pressure bolt is 130.00
Toolcraft creedmoor HP BCG - 130.00 (arm or ally)
Wojtek adjustable gas block- 40.00

Been there done that. Aero recommended switching out buffers/springs. I was having the same problems with gas block opened all the way!

The HP BCG might remedy his problems.. But I can almost guarantee the gas port is under sized. 

I would go with the Toolcraft BCG and Wojtek AGB. Check your port size, needs to be at least .086. Open it up if needed.
MS