Skip to main content
Topic: WTK: new ruger american compact 6.5 creedmoor 20'' rifle (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

WTK: new ruger american compact 6.5 creedmoor 20'' rifle

Does anyone own or has shot the new ruger american compact 6.5 creedmoor 20'' rifle?

MODEL NUMBER: 16980 CALIBER: 6.5 CREEDMOOR

StockBlack Synthetic
SightsNone-Bases Supplied
Barrel Length20"
MaterialAlloy Steel

Twist1:8" RH
Capacity4
FinishMatte Black
Weight 6.1 lb.

Overall Length 38.75"
Length of Pull 12.50"
Grooves 5

Re: WTK: new ruger american compact 6.5 creedmoor 20'' rifle

Reply #1
Post #1 for me.  I had not been looking at precision rifles at all.  This morning I discover that my Christmas present from my wife was an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. (18029).  Now my head is spinning with how I am going to build this out.  Optics, cases, bipod, rails, etc.  A precision rifle...the gift that keeps on giving.

I saw your OP and was disappointed that there were no replies.  Then I noticed the date of your post.  I am looking forward to seeing what the more experienced members of this community share.

So, I *will* be shooting this rifle...just not yet... 

Reply #2
I think the 22" barrel of the regular American and the RAP is short enough. I had one until I sold it in October.

There is no worldly reason to have a 20" barrel on a bolt action rifle.  Yes, maybe on an AR but not on a bolt gun.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #3
One of the Precision rifle blogs did a chop test several years ago. Much like the 308, the Creedmoor doesn't suffer much velocity loss work shorter barrels. So if you are interested, get it.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #4
I think the 22" barrel of the regular American and the RAP is short enough. I had one until I sold it in October.

There is no worldly reason to have a 20" barrel on a bolt action rifle.  Yes, maybe on an AR but not on a bolt gun.

Eric B.

I want the short barrel because I will be mounting a OSS HX-QD 762 Ti Suppressor on it. Right now it is in ATF Jail waiting to be released. I will only be using this for deer hunting in Pa. I am 67 years old and my health is not good. The short 20" barrel fits my needs perfectly. I plan to put a Trijicon Accupoint Scope on my new suppressed rifle.

Reply #5
md66948,
Sounds like a great set up.  I have a X Bolt Micro Midas with Trijicon that I carry for sits in tight places.  Have not killed a deer with it, yet, but it is accurate and handy.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #6
Md;
  I think you will greatly enjoy it !

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #7
  My advice, don't give any loss of velocity a 2nd thot. I haven't seen any loss of killing ability from my 18.6" barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor . It kills great. Sounds like a nice light setup.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #8
md,
Well, I'm a 75 year old geezer from PA (Erie) and now in Nevada. For Pa's relatively short distances compared to Nevada's longer shots you will be fine with the 20" barrel and suppressor.

In my case I plan to shoot my 22" Browning X-Bolt a lot in varmint competition and in a couple of years will replace the barrel with a 24" Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #9
I shoot a 20" and load my own using faster burning powders to make up most the difference in speeds and love it. I've shot SEVERAL 1" three shot groups at 500 yards with it and pulled the trigger the tenth time on a Whitetail this year with that particular firearm recovering 9 out of those 10 Deer. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply #10
In point of fact, he would be fine with a 16" barrel. So 4 " longer is ALOT 👍

Reply #11
I shoot a 20" and load my own using faster burning powders to make up most the difference in speeds and love it. I've shot SEVERAL 1" three shot groups at 500 yards with it and pulled the trigger the tenth time on a Whitetail this year with that particular firearm recovering 9 out of those 10 Deer. Nothing wrong with that.

What load do you use ?
 I'm still using the same loads I generated with the 26" barrel on my rifle.

Reply #12
What load do you use ?
 I'm still using the same loads I generated with the 26" barrel on my rifle.
130 eld 42 gr imr 4166 @ 2850 fps, 140 gr eld 40.5 gr Varget @ 2750 fps, both in Lapua Brass, CCI-450's and .025's jump

Reply #13
Wow Cold Trigger Finger your on Alaska, I bet that's interesting. Sent a Rem 700 bolt up there to Dan40x couple months ago to get timed, he a nice guy. We talked almost two hours about Alaska. It was a fascinating conversation.

Reply #14
  Yup. It's a great testing ground for rifles and things.
  I didn't push the faster powders in my rifle. I did load a bunch of plinking /practice loads with IMR 8208 , 140 gr HPBT tumbled in HBN. They were producing around 2525 fps from my short barrel. For practical applications for what I do and where I live they worked good.
 Varget is what I load 110 gr bullets with. It is Extremely accurate with the bullets I shoot . Groups in the. .25 moa @ 100 yards.
  Very temp stable in cold weather. Well below zero .