Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie with a factory Savage Barrel coming in the Mail (Read 521 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Newbie with a factory Savage Barrel coming in the Mail

Reply #15
A while back on the Savage Shooters there was a discussion or two on thread fit.  Knowing it was a Savage barrel makes me think it probably was not a thread fit problem.  But a very poor thread fit possibly could skew the chamber to bolt head fit. ??
Thinking out loud.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #16
Latest reloading of the Hornady 140 grain BTHP over IMR 4350 showed 41 grains yielded a 1.885" average group for 10 rounds at 200 yards.   Velocity was 2722 fps.  Testing the Sierra 120 grain BTHP showed promise at 44.8 grains of H4350.  Accuracy at 200 yards was 1.771" with four rounds into .964" and a velocity of 3032fps.
Tom S     Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 to Dec 67

Reply #17
Some of these factory barrels shoot pretty good in my opinion. .964 @ 200 (We don't always count flyers) is well under a half minute! 
I just picked up another 260 take off from a SS member.  I will shoot it first and then decide if I will rechamber it to Creed.
Glad yours is shooting this good so early in its life and load development.
Randy
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #18
Thanks Randy.  Load development has been very interesting with the Creed.  I have to remember to slow down, don't want to burn out the barrel before summer arrives.  The, is the one thing I don't like about the caliber, the somewhat short barrel life.

Reply #19
Glad to be here as I've never worked with the Creedmoor cartridge before.  Going to put the barrel on a  older 110 action that is currently 22-250.  The long 110 action will allow me to seat bullets out far enough to jam if need be.  I'll also be using a single shot sled.  Got the barrel from a Savage Forum member for $130 shipped.  Barrel is the standard varmint weight, 26" 8' twist.  It's a brand new take off barrel so will require break in.
Glad to be here as I've never worked with the Creedmoor cartridge before.  Going to put the barrel on a  older 110 action that is currently 22-250.  The long 110 action will allow me to seat bullets out far enough to jam if need be.  I'll also be using a single shot sled.  Got the barrel from a Savage Forum member for $130 shipped.  Barrel is the standard varmint weight, 26" 8' twist.  It's a brand new take off barrel so will require break in.
  Is it a heavy fluted barrel from SD?

Reply #20
  Is it a heavy fluted barrel from SD?
No, factory take off barrel. 8 twist, 26" varmint weight.

Reply #21
Just over 200 rounds through this barrel and it's still a copper mine!

Reply #22
Shot on a friend's 1000 yard range last Wednesday.  Set my target up at 425 yards.  40 degrees 80% humidity with a 7 mph cross wind.  Shot 140 grain Hornady BTHPs over 41 grains of IMR4350 in prepped and annealed Hornady brass and BR-2 primers.  OAL is 2.267" and velocity averaged 2653fps that day.  Long story short, that load averaged 3.77" for 15 rounds.  Not stellar but not too bad either for a tactical, not bench rest rifle.  Load development continues.  Going to work with the Nosler Custom Competition 140 gr BTHP next.