News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Proper headspace

Started by powermetal, April 17, 2019, 08:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powermetal

I did a bit or reading online about case lubes.  The lanolin/IPA home brew seems to be a standout favorite (including here).  Ordered some supplies to try, seems like a good opportunity for a head to head comparison.  I have noticed that with the 1 shot, the cases feel like they drag a bit in the FL die.  I may also modify (or not even use) my case block.  The block is 3/4" so when I spray, the base of the head doesn't really see alot of lube.  Might be below where the die contacts the shell aggressively, though...

Amazon had 12 packs of the 99% IPA for $19.  No shipping.  Was surprised that they'd ship highly flammable items free.

gman47564

little bit of carbon is the only thing I want on the inside of the necks on mine... probably get a lot of different answers to that chris ... this is mine...
Grant

bikemutt

That's how I feel as well Grant, if felt more convergence towards consistency on the target by keeping lube outside my necks. And, wiping the outside of the cases as well.

I'm not real inclined to clean the brass one more time unless I feel certain it's not being possibly deformed, dinged etc.
Chris

gman47564

I know you dont like the dry media but after sizing mine I let them run 30 minutes in corn cobb media just to get all the lube off and slick them up. That's why I dont worry about getting lube in the necks. I know it will get removed in the dry media. I know it's another step but worth it in my eyes.
Grant

bikemutt

I'll give it a try, never did get rid of the dry tumbler :)
Chris

dadajack

I have never had dry media remove Imperial from the inside necks of cases. I actually run mine back through the SS pins and dish soap for 10-20 minutes after sizing.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

gman47564

Quote from: dadajack on April 21, 2019, 11:02:41 PMI have never had dry media remove Imperial from the inside necks of cases. I actually run mine back through the SS pins and dish soap for 10-20 minutes after sizing.

Works for me everytime jack.
Grant

Windsage

Quote from: bikemutt on April 21, 2019, 07:03:27 PMHow do ya'll clean the brass after the lanolin bath? And, if you do clean, do you clean before and after?

Quote from: powermetal on April 21, 2019, 08:57:19 PMI did a bit or reading online about case lubes.  The lanolin/IPA home brew seems to be a standout favorite (including here).  Ordered some supplies to try, seems like a good opportunity for a head to head comparison.  I have noticed that with the 1 shot, the cases feel like they drag a bit in the FL die.  I may also modify (or not even use) my case block.  The block is 3/4" so when I spray, the base of the head doesn't really see alot of lube.  Might be below where the die contacts the shell aggressively, though...

Amazon had 12 packs of the 99% IPA for $19.  No shipping.  Was surprised that they'd ship highly flammable items free.

Here is my normal routine.  I deprime and then anneal.  Then I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the brass.  Then dry in dehydrator for 1 hour and then shake in bag with 2 squirts of 99% alcohol / Lanolin (2 oz lanolin per 16 oz bottle).  FL size, then trim, chamfer, then into the old dry vibratory tumbler to remove brass shavings and residues.  This also makes them really shinny for extra velocity.  Then mandrel the neck with Lee mandrel and load.

I have also used sizing wax and one shot.  The one shot is handy but makes a huge mess of your tray.  There is a distinct difference in how much drag you feel on the die between the lanolin and one shot.

powermetal

I've heard that shiny cases are good for another 30 FPS.  The red tipped ones give another 25 FPS.

In all seriousness though, I also do a "post processing" tumble with walnut media.  A bit of extra peace of mind to make sure any errant lube spray gets soaked up properly.  Also gives me an excuse to clean my flash holes and perform a last inspection before I prime and load.

Made the mistake this past time of adding a bit too much car wax to "marginal" media.  I think the media was about spent and that extra wax ended up depositing poo on my cases.  Dumped the media and started with fresh to get the smears off.  Lesson learned, less is more!!

dadajack

Quote from: powermetal on April 22, 2019, 07:51:26 PMLesson learned, less is more!!

Something my wife has been trying to convince me of for years...
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.