News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

converting my savage

Started by bfm1851, January 17, 2017, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfm1851

Hi very new to this site but hoping to get some good information from y'all. I am wanting to convert a savage model 10 I have in .308 to 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems I have the creedmoor bug. : ).  Was going to buy a barrel, go/no go gauges and do the work myself. Then I ran across E. Arthur Brown Co. Barrel runs $259 and they will install for $30?  Heck if its a good barrel that sounds like a deal? Anyone have experience with this company?  If their good to go I would probable have them do a muzzle break too while its there.  So anyone out there used this company? What have you heard?
Thanks in advance

Manitouman

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on a Savage that I got from Brown. I also have a .260 barrel on an Encore from them. They're both very accurate barrels. I installed the Savage barrel myself and found it fairly simple to do the first time. The money they charge to do it is very reasonable, and if you have no desire to switch barrels, get them to do it for the money.

I switched barrels myself because I wanted to get good at it. My late night fantasies of switching barrels between hunts didn't/hasn't come true, but I know how now, and I'm okay with that.

I was lazy and just bought more rifles instead of switching barrels. I doubt if anyone is that nuts, but you are what you eat, I guess. I buy mixed nuts by the gallon . . .

At one time you could see a story I wrote about the .260 Encore on Brown's Facebook. It was an antelope hunt my son and I went on in Wyoming. The same story is on www.longrangehunting.com under their feature articles column.
My book, Life Les'ons by Les Voth, is available at Amazon.com.

bfm1851

Manitouman, thank you for the information.  Yeah I'm thinking about doing the switch myself but would have to buy go/no go gauges and reamer?  Did you have to ream it to get a good fit?  Heard that they sometimes leave them a little long in case of wear? Anyway for $30 it may be my best beat. I have enough projects right now  ;)

Darkker

Eabco barrels seem to shoot. With the exception of Rob01, I don't think many would be able to tell the difference in groups between them or a big name brand. Where the difference comes in, is in cleaning.

Not sure what you mean by the reamer, but they are all drop-ins. Headspace gets set by you, not the reamer.
So yes, either use the gauges, or a factory cartridge. But for a first timer, suggest the gauges.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Manitouman

You don't need a reamer.
Get a square recoil lug. They supply the wrench. You may have to open the barrel channel.
I used a factory case to set headspace. Just make sure you take your time. Then take your time again.
I used sweat, and a dowl wrapped with sandpaper, to open my barrel channel. I wasn't disappointed with the outcome. Take your time.
My book, Life Les'ons by Les Voth, is available at Amazon.com.

tstar

I just went thru my first barrel swap on my savage 10, I wish I would have invested in or made a barrel vice in addition to the action wrench. When tightening the barrel it kept wanting to spin and shortening my headspace. I eventually put a piece of scotch tape on the back of the Go gauge and tightened down the barrel against it. Headspace came out perfect that way...

I also had a problem with my recoil lug, it's the newer non-indexed one and had to fiddle with that getting it lined up on the receiver correctly. Hindsight I would have got the NSS one and ground it down to fit the Accustock...

All in all very doable, almost easy with a sense of some pride and accomplishment when you're done!

Do it yourself is my vote!

Tim

bfm1851

Thanks for all the advice.  I have a friend who has changed out several barrels so he available for support  ;) Still thinking of doing it myself. Anyone know how much gauges cost and where to get them? Brownells?  Anyone think it's worth the $30 plus shipping to have them do it?

"Not sure what you mean by the reamer, but they are all drop-ins. Headspace gets set by you, not the reamer.
So yes, either use the gauges, or a factory cartridge. But for a first timer, suggest the gauges."  Was referring to the throat, heard that sometimes you need to ream them a bit for proper fit?? 

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

dadajack

I bought a go gauge for my 6.5 when I put the barrel on, then I used new Lapua brass as the gauge when I set my 7mm barrel up on another action. I will do the same thing when I get my next barrel in. It takes a bit more "feel" when using brass than a hardened gauge, but it is doable. The scotch tape on the base makes a good no go gauge.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

boltman13

Brown is a very reputable company.  Their barrels are generally quite accurate.  For $30 why would you bother to do it yourself.  Materials to do it are much more expensive, and take time and space to assemble.  Still it's your call.  Good luck.

jeffreybehr

Quote from: Manitouman on January 17, 2017, 04:01:07 PM...
At one time you could see a story I wrote about the .260 Encore on Brown's Facebook. It was an antelope hunt my son and I went on in Wyoming. The same story is on www.longrangehunting.com under their feature articles column.
Haven't found it yet--how 'bout a link?
Been with firearms and reloading for over 50 year but a 6.5C newbee.

tstar

$30 is cheap, how much is shipping both ways?

Tim

bfm1851

tstar, that's the rub, probably run $25-40 each way. So if you throw another $50 or so at it you can buy the gauges and maybe barrel wrench for a bit more. A buddy has an action vice or what passes as one if you put it in my 5" Wilton vice.  Found out there is no need for a reamer as head space is set with barrel nut. Like I said I don't know anything about this just what I read and hear on internet. And you'll know that's a good source.  ;) 

tstar

LOL Yeah the good, the bad and the ugly are all on the internet and all claiming to be THE way it's done!

Like I said, I just did this on my 10 and it was easy and kinda cool doing it myself. I WILL get/make a barrel vice to supplement my action wrench for my next re-barrel though...

Did you see about the newer recoil lugs not being indexed? I would recommend buying NSS's recoil lug and grinding it down to fit the accustock versus fighting getting a perfect alignment with the OEM one!

Tim

LHitchcox

I just did this yesterday. Mine was a left hand model 11 in 7-08 and I installed factory sporter barrel that I got for $70. Long time back I picked up an action wrench and barrel nut wrench, so I had the tools on hand. If you plan on doing any other swaps, go ahead and get the tools. I like to use a go gage, but Midway was out of stock at the time. I used a piece of sized brass with a piece of Scotch tape on the base and it worked fine. Took a couple of tries because I was compressing the brass when I tightened the barrel nut