News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

6 BRA tuning

Started by DHuffman, July 16, 2021, 11:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Thought I'd share this ladder with you guys, I learned a lesson this evening. It's one of those lessons I think we all learn over and over again ????

When something's not giving the desired results change something. With the limited tuning time I have nowadays I kept thinking I just hadn't quite found the tune with either gun. 1500 rounds through the 47L improved, 1100 rounds through the BRA and no big wins and a couple groups in the 1"s and most of my better finishes have come in score not group.

After my last match I came home with the intentions of swapping both barrels. I put the 6 BRA 7.25 twist Brux back on the Panda and was going to put the 3 groove 8 twist Lilja BRA back on the Borden but instead decided to switch powder lots and bullets and keep running the 4 groove 8 twist Lilja.

So the Panda / Brux 6 BRA shot decent with the 106 Roy's maybe a tenth off on powder and a thou or two off on seating. I think it will get back to shooting small with minimal testing.

The Borden / Lilja 4 groove I loaded up with Roy Hunter 103As and a lot of H4895 left over from 2018 in leftover sized brass from last August at the 600 Nationals.

The whole ladder was 2.1" wide x 2.4" tall, pretty sure it's gonna work LOL

Anyway here's the pic, I think I'll go .2 lower to 29.7 and work back up to 30.1 to see where it comes in and see if it repeats.

Dave

DHuffman

It was still 85° at about 9 this evening but the wind was right so I shot them.

Oh yeah did you hear the one about the guy who thought something was wrong with his rest and spent $1,500 buying a couple more to try out ????
Dave

Ranger 188

I seen on A.S. you were looking to buy another rest.
We are all hoping to find that magic combination that will
make us shoot small.
I think it's just hard work and the little things that do it.
Your rest was working before, but it's a confidence thing.
It's a new rest to me, it must make my groups smaller,
and it costs more, so it must be better. lol

DHuffman

My Sinclair works very well for the Borden but can get quirky on the Panda. The forend on the Panda is a whisker thinner and it does seem to track worse than the LRB in that rest.

I've got a JJ Loh coming as well as a Randolph. Both one owner like new at very good prices. So I'm going to test rests so to speak and after I'm satisfied there may be one or two for sale but I wouldn't bet on it. ????
Dave

DHuffman

I'll also add we can try anything at home but until it proves out in actual competition it's not conclusive.
Dave

DHuffman

Wanting to repeat around 30.0, hopefully I can get it tuned and get in some matches before the barrel gives up LOL

The wind was really coming to life as I shot this so I'm not too concerned about 29.9 Y

Dave