Skip to main content
Topic: Get your wife shooting if you want an unlimited shooting budget!  (Read 127 times) previous topic - next topic

Get your wife shooting if you want an unlimited shooting budget!

Gents,

I stumbled upon a life hack that i thought i would share. Last December, i got my wife into Precision Long Range Shooting. She competed three times in PRS regional matches in December and January and liked it. Then something happened and in February, she got Top Lady at a match and i saw a competitive fire lit in my wife in a way i haven't seen in quiet some time. She ended up shooting 2 national level matches in March and April. The match in April was right before i left on a deployment so i didn't have time to make her any rounds before i left. The deal that we made when she started shooting was that she would shoot, but she wanted nothing to do with the reloading. Well once i left, she decided that she wanted to shoot and she reloaded her own rounds for a regional 1 day match. She placed 11th out of 44 shooters and her ammo had an SD of 5! She is currently ranked #3 in the SE region! Pretty proud husband right here!

This brings me to the topic of this thread. A couple weeks ago, i put together a 22LR trainer rifle (Bergara B14R barreled action, triggertech diamond, vortex strike eagle, & manners stock) which she was all for because we can get our kids into the shooting game. Just last week, my brother decided to sell his competition rig and i just texted my wife and said "hey im going to buy my brother's brand new gun, is that ok?" To which she replied "sure is it the came caliber and what stock does it have". So now we have a backup gun in the same caliber, action, and stock as our Comp rigs. So the point is, we went from 1 Comp gun  to 3 Comp guns and a trainer all without my wife batting an eye. If you want to up your shooting game get your wife into competitive shooting. Shooting weekends have gone from me being away, to now we are seeing all of OUR friends and having fun husband/wife weekends together!

I thought i would swing by and say hey. I have always considered this group of shooters as my "home" group. Ya'll were the ones who helped guide me when i said "i want to shoot long range what do i buy." Still makes me laugh.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support! Esp to Tony, Richard, Jerry and all the guys i have forgotten to mention...

If you are a new shooter readying this feel free to reach out and i'll help however i can. So many guys paid it forward to me and sat on the phone for hours helping me learn this sport and how to reload.  Its all i can do to pay it forward and do the same.

Josh - 850-748-6801

Re: Get your wife shooting if you want an unlimited shooting budget!

Reply #1
Great story and well written post Josh. You never know when five minutes of your time here or there is going to effect something positive for someone else. Makes you feel good to hear about it.
You and your wife sound like a great team.  You are not unique though in the shooting sports. It seems that when a whole family becomes involved, they all become very good in short order. In benchrest comp examples would be the Bauers, the Mathews, the Crowders, and a whole bunch of father-son pairs. You’ve taken the brotherhood of the sport and wrapped it in “family”. 😊 I bet you and your wife will continue to rise to the top of your game.
Thanks for sharing.

Reply #2
 Success in competition occurs when the passion to improve exceeds the desire to win. Family involvement helps you achieve that mindset.

Reply #3
Success in competition occurs when the passion to improve exceeds the desire to win. Family involvement helps you achieve that mindset.

So true! I am having way more fun now than i was before and i didn't think that was possible!

Reply #4
I wish!!!  My wife is a good shot, but she dislikes guns for the most part. I have a hard time getting my boys to shoot anything either, and my oldest is in Biathlon even.
I asked him why he runs around with nerf guns doing mag changes, yet it’s a struggle to get him to try and shoot my Shadow wearing my IPSC belt. lol. Got the deer in the headlights look. Lol
If my dad had that gear back when I was 12, I would have been over the moon.

Reply #5
My wife likes shooting handguns mostly. She'll lift a shotgun on clay birds if pressed, no real interest in rifles.

She's deadeye Jack with her GP100, I just enjoy whatever she enjoys when it comes to the shooting sports. That said, she's always ready to shoo me out of the house so I can shoot rifle :)
Chris

Reply #6
@thatmarine been in some of those matches with you--just different squads.  Maybe see you soon.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

Reply #7
I wish!!!  My wife is a good shot, but she dislikes guns for the most part. I have a hard time getting my boys to shoot anything either, and my oldest is in Biathlon even.
I asked him why he runs around with nerf guns doing mag changes, yet it’s a struggle to get him to try and shoot my Shadow wearing my IPSC belt. lol. Got the deer in the headlights look. Lol
If my dad had that gear back when I was 12, I would have been over the moon.

So my oldest daughter is almost 7 and we are putting the 22 together for her. The PRS22 & NRL22 series is the same stuff we do in PRS but with a 22LR. He might be interested in that...

Reply #8
My wife likes shooting handguns mostly. She'll lift a shotgun on clay birds if pressed, no real interest in rifles.

She's deadeye Jack with her GP100, I just enjoy whatever she enjoys when it comes to the shooting sports. That said, she's always ready to shoo me out of the house so I can shoot rifle :)

hahah your wife sounds exactly like mine!

This whole thing for me started about a year ago when my wife and I went through some marriage counseling and she changed her plans at the last minute and decided to come to my first 2-day competition in Finger, TN (The Gap Grind - PRO/AM comp). Previously to this she had very little interest in shooting my comp rig. It was "boring" to her at the 100 yard range; also probably didn't help that i was collecting speeds on my reloads. Well fast forward to this comp and at the end of the last stage we put her on the gun and she was hammering 8 inch squares targets at 500 yards. I asked her if she would be interested in doing this type of shooting and the rest is history! I picked up a defiance action off the prize table and sold a Daniel Defense Delta 5 PRO that i won and that was the start of her build. 2 months later she started shooting/competing....

soooo....go to marriage counseling it can enrich your marriage and give you more gun money!

@MJeff23 please say hey next time! I think i know who you are... We are shooting the Federal Match, 1 day @ Altus, Gap Grind, and Kestrel if you are shooting any of those. I also might be shooting the SE Regional Finale...

Reply #9
That's a great story @thatmarine, glad it worked out for you the way it did.

As far as marriage counseling goes, I attend every day; she's the counselor, I'm the counselled, end of story :)
Chris

Reply #10
That's a great story @thatmarine, glad it worked out for you the way it did.

As far as marriage counseling goes, I attend every day; she's the counselor, I'm the counselled, end of story :)

hahahahahahah nice. Make sure you listen ;)

Reply #11
If you never get married like myself, then you never have a problem buying what you want. No wife, No kid's, No worries!

Reply #12
If you never get married like myself, then you never have a problem buying what you want. No wife, No kid's, No worries!

I love my little Wolf Pack and having a strong competitive mate is rather sexy! Lone wolf's don't get far in the wild.

Reply #13
Married or unmarried really isn’t relevant. What’s important is what makes you feel successful and fulfilled. Some guys who never marry would have made great husbands and fathers. Some guys who are husbands and fathers never should have married. I can’t think of anything I could buy that would have given me the feeing of fulfillment that I’ve received from my wife and children. But by golly I still enjoy the heck out of buying stuff - both for myself and my family.