Skip to main content
Topic: learned something new today (Read 166 times) previous topic - next topic

learned something new today

its always a good day when ya learn something you didnt know... case in point... i was reading a article on my phone this afternoon about ruger continuing to make the marlin model 336.. which is cool in itself... but in the artical they was talking about things they hope ruger keep the same as the old marlin was and some things they could improve upon with it... and was also talking about some of the things on the 336 that were beter than the model 94 winchester lever gun and one of them being if you took the lever off the 336 the bolt would slide out of it and you could clean the bore from the breech end... didnt know that.. humpf!!!

so i get my 336 out and look it over... thinking do i take that lever out or not...lol.  how many parts are going to fall out of there if i do... :-\   only one way to find out.. take the lever out so i slowly did... one screw held it in.. took it out and gently pulled it up out of the action... carefully looking things over as i did... once i got it out i put it right back in to make sure i could and it went right back in.. so im good to take it out... once the lever is removed i start pulling the bolt out and sure enough it slid right out... i decide to upright the gun in my gun vice so i can clean the bore and did ... to my suprise nothing fell out... woo hoo... get a cleaning rod and run a wet patch down the bore and was pulling the rod back out and heard a tink...ought oh...that cant be good... a little piece with a couple notches on it on one side and a piece of spring steel on the other...   im thinking crap... i start looking around in there and figure out where it goes i think but might as well finish cleaning it before i try to get it back in there...

i bought this gun used a few years ago and cleaned it up the best i could at the time but after tearing it down like i did today it was a mess inside the reciever .. the bolt all gunked up... after some serious cleaning and lubing a few places up in it i went to putting it back together... it actually went together pretty easy and worked like a charm... took it out and shot it at a box about 50 yards away and she shot good...  so if you have a old model 336 c and want to clean the bolt... it isnt that bad to do...  ;D 
Grant

Re: learned something new today

Reply #1
I have similar thoughts about deep cleaning my Winchester Legendary Frontiersman ‘94 in 38-55.  No cross bolt safety.  I have owned and traded 94’s but never stripped one down to screws.  Not afraid of putting triggers in Ruger and Springfield pistols but for some reason or other the good old Winchester clones intimidate me.  They are like carburetors. One wrong move sends tiny parts bouncing off the walls. Ok a little dramatic but you get where I’m going,

One day I’ll be brave enough……..
Roaneman

Reply #2
That’s what gallon sized ziplock bags are for! 😂

Reply #3
Launching springs is part of my makeup. Last summer when i moved shops from the west wall to the soutjeadt corner in my garage while sweeping up my mess i found 2 savage ejector springs which i searched for intensely when i launched them. Also found one ejector plunger and 3 or 4 live primers from when i dumped a whole tray from a full flat. Picking up little things is easiest with a good flashlight to hep locate them. Disassembly within a zip lock is always a good piece of insurance to prevent loss of small parts. Those little "C" washers/clips also known as SOB clips often decide they want to be free also. There was the time when one off a savage trigger dropped into acardboard box with over 30 pounds of my scrap cartridge brass. After removing all in the box i did not find the clip. I carefully tapped rach one to make sire it did not end up in one of the cases. My flashlight trick found it for me after a couple of searvh hours. I believe i have spares in a parts bin somewhete because Timney sends spares for idiots like me.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
Jerry, funny you mentioned it, just the other dsy it crossed my mind that there is an old 94 in a closetvthat Dad left me
 A 32 win special. Real beat up old timer.just lat week out of curiosity i thought about retrieving it. My b-i-l probably threw out the ammo when cleaning dafs house along with 3030, 12 gauge and 410. My brother found the 410 ammo but all ammo is gold nowi certainly remember dad having the bolt out of the 94 and his Marlin 93 on several occasions. Ive got a clone 33630-30 that o my youngestson has now that wears the Monkey Wards brand name. My son Bob killed several real nice whitetails with it befote he died.it earned its name the "buck stopper"
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Roaneman, I have a Winchester 94AE in 30-30 Winchester and I like to be able to take my guns completely down. I bought a copy of Gun Digest book of Centerfire Rifle Assembly/Disassembly, by Kevin Muramatsu who trained with James Woods. He lays it out step by step. FWIW

Reply #6
Acquired a 94 at a estate sale several years ago.  24" octagon barrel.  Ran the numbers. Produced in 1899.  Had not been abused but had been neglected.  Got a Radocy tear-down guide and went at it.  Took a while to clean up all the accumulated funk.  Was very careful with parts control. The reassembly page of the guide said reverse the steps used in disassembly.  Knew I was out of my league. Put all the parts in zip locks and took to my go-to smith and he reassembled for $40.  He urged me not to refinish anything.  Said this old stick is worth a lot more than I paid for it if kept in original condition.  I have fired it a few times.  Need to find a load it likes and try to kill a deer or some hogs with it.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #7
I have a model 94 Win. in 30-30 built in the 1970s. The lever is pinned in and was never properly tempered (really soft metal). It peens the part of the lever that retards the shells in the magazine from coming out all at once. I have to peen it back down at times to make it work properly. The 1970s were a real mess for quality assurance. Ford cars were a piece of junk back then and so were Winchester rifles. The rifle shoots good though. The older and newer rifles all seem to have much better quality control.