Skip to main content
Topic: New barrel time soon (Read 129 times) previous topic - next topic

New barrel time soon

My Gen 1 RPR will be needing a new barrel soon. I'm thinking of a Bartlein stainless steel barrel. 5R rifling and maybe 7.5:1 twist instead of 8 twist.

Any suggestion on barrel contour? I'd like to keep it from being too heavy. Bartlein offers RPR barrels with "standard" (RUGER OEM) contour in 24"W/ 0.75 muse diameter and HEAVY in 26" with 0.830 muzzle diameter.

Maybe the "heavy" with the extra 2" of length would give me a bit more velocity?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Re: New barrel time soon

Reply #1
My RPR has now been thru a 26” Bartlein (5R) and is now on a 26” Hawk Hill (4groove). Both heavy varmint and both have done well. I’m a diehard 140 gr guy so I’ve stayed with the 1:8. No regrets.

Reply #2
I too am a fan of the 1:8 twist for the 6.5CM.  I tried a 7.5 twist and it didn't shoot as good as the 8.  I shoot mainly 140g bullets but the 1:8 handles the 147 ELD-Ms just fine as well.  I am slowing learning that using the twist you need and not going faster is a better way to go.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #3
I think the slowest twist that adequately stabilizes the bullet and distance you are shooting is a good approach. Over twist can have detrimental affects.

Reply #4
Tom Mousel and Alex Wheeler both think a bullet is at it's
best when it's in the 1.8 area of the Miller stability chart.
(at longer ranges)
Which depending on, temp. and a few other parameters, but using a 140g hybrid,
the twist rate in in the 7.6- 7.7 range is hitting that number.
But then you have the short range shooter (100-300) shooting a light bullet
in a 13.5 twist which is in low 1.1 area of the stability chart.
Go figure.

Reply #5
I've got a 7.25 twist 6 BRA barrel that really shoots the 103 - 106 class bullets, by popular opinion it should be over twisted.

I spend a lot of time & components looking for the "secret sauce" nodes that are considerably slower than what many feel to be the gold standard for a known combination and often my testing has me shooting a velocity that most wouldn't consider. Almost to a rule anytime I chase a known "upper" node it's not as good as the middle or low node.

I weigh primers, pin guage necks, expand with a mandrel, sort bullets to 2 - 4 parameters etc.

What I'm getting at is we all have our own way of doing things and our own accuracy requirements for what we're doing.

So when we start making blanket statements for what worked in something else it may work but since every rifle, barrel and shooter is different there's a really high likelihood we are leaving "meat on the bone" if we don't test it thoroughly ourselves in our rifle.

There are many loads that seem to shoot good or even well in many rifles but there are always improvements to be had that only come from testing.
Dave

Reply #6
@Ranger 188

Found some 106s out in MT recently and the guy said he should let me have them because he'd never shoot them.

A week later I texted him about how many he had and what did he want for them.
So he weighs them, sends me several pictures and decides he has 950+ of them.

Again I as what he wants for them. An hour later he texts back he better keep them. This was one of the DC guys.

🙄
Dave

Reply #7
Dave your lucky, it seems each one of your rifles "likes"
a different bullet so you won't go thru those 106's as fast
as if they all liked them. Roy doesn't make the 106's anymore.
They are gold. His 103's are too bad either.
I'm just starting on my 6bra and going to give Bart's
103 hammers a try at first. Waiting on Tom's VaporTrail's
Have some Vtac's the measurements didn't impress me at all.
(all different, not very consistent)
Custom bullets are getting hard to get and the wait is getting longer.
Guess the jackets are harder to get now.
Tom M. is running a 7.75 twist
He said he wouldn't be afraid to run a 7.5

Reply #8
Back to Eric's problem.
Anything from a 7.5 - 8 would be fine.
If your going to be shooting the heavies 140g+ then
I might tend to lean towards the 7.5, but 140 and less, then
the 8 is the gold standard.
If your shooting near sea level or at 2000+ ft. elev.  will make a difference.

Reply #9
I think at 600 almost any gun likes the 106s but I have two barrels that really like them a lot. A Lilja and a Brick but I've honestly never tried them in a Krieger.

I've got a bunch of Bart's I've never got around to testing but shot great the one time I laddered them out but on the same day the Carpenters seemed a little tighter.

I've got other custom bullets too but there's only so much time and barrel life to test.
Dave

Reply #10

“There are many loads that seem to shoot good or even well in many rifles but there are always improvements to be had that only come from testing.”

“I've got other custom bullets too but there's only so much time and barrel life to test.“

Amen to both statements! It’s a juggling act that is now becoming skewed for many with dwindling inventories.