Skip to main content
Topic: 6mm CM Barrel Replacement (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 6mm CM Barrel Replacement

Reply #30
Excellent thread!  Very useful tip/technique.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #31
Grant ,  Would you care to outline the process in a little detail for us "slow" folks on the forum? 
May be having the same problem in a 25-06 I picked up.   Don't believe the gun has been shot a great deal, but I'm not sure it had ever been cleaned.  It has what seems to be carbon ring and a little of the cracked appearance in the beginning of the lands.   I also recently bought the bore scope recommended on this forum...so I am not sure of exactly what I see but it does look exactly like pictures of the carbon ring and fire cracking I have found on-line.
thanks

Reply #32
Ill let Grant outline his regimine as it seems very effective. I find cleaning a barrel when it's warm or even borderline hot sure takes a lot of the work out of getting one clean. I think it helps a lot on the carbon ring and the throat area especially.
Dave

Reply #33
Gone fishing i will start a thread on what i have been doing to get that hard carbon out tomorrow evening.. its my bed time now. Lol
Grant

Reply #34
Bob im curious if you have had a chance to run any rounds through this gun since you cleaned the carbon out..
Grant

Reply #35
Hi Grant.  Not yet.   I shot in a NCPPRC practice today which required a chassis rifle.  So I shot the white MDT 6.5CM.  I need to get some rounds down that barrel so I can do some serious load development.  Then I have a NBRSA practice on Monday that I want to shoot the 6.5-284 to validate some loads at 1000 yards.  Once I get past these two, then I think I will be able to get out and try the 6CM.  The problem with having all of these rifles to choose from is that it takes time to shoot them all....lol....I'm not complaining.  So nice to be retired.  They are predicting rain here for much of next week, so it may be toward the weekend before I can get out.  I am curious as well to see how this barrel behaves.  Definitely update the thread with what I find out.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #36
I hear you Bob, I'm looking at 3 guns and about over 8 barrels trying to pick the easy ones. Think I have it narrowed down, the Savage Dasher only has one, the Panda is getting a shakedown with the 47L imp and for the sake of keeping it easy I'm going to tuneup some Barts or Carpenters on my Borden Krieger from last season.
I've got a new 4 groove Lilja for the Borden but it needs broke in and I'd like to use my Alpha BRA brass in it that's yet to be turned so I'll leave it for now.
This seems like the only way of having a prayer of being ready for Deep Creek in 3 weeks without quitting my job 😂
Dave

Reply #37
Sounds like several late nights and early mornings for both of you.  Hang in there and be glad you have components to work with. 👍

Reply #38
Sounds like several late nights and early mornings for both of you.  Hang in there and be glad you have components to work with. 👍

Plenty of options there as well.....
Dave

Reply #39
That's why I retired young. Always said, work got in the way
of my shooting...

Reply #40
I need to re-acquire some of the work ethic I had before I retired. 😊

Reply #41
Theres good and bad with multiple sticks.. if your shooting alot and running 4 or 5 then theirs always reloading to do.. when your running one or two and shooting alot your always screwing new pipes on and getting them tuned.. i prefer multiple sticks..  course i always have reloading to do.. 3 different calibers here and their ready for a bath..
Grant

Reply #42
Theres good and bad with multiple sticks.. if your shooting alot and running 4 or 5 then theirs always reloading to do.. when your running one or two and shooting alot your always screwing new pipes on and getting them tuned.. i prefer multiple sticks..  course i always have reloading to do.. 3 different calibers here and their ready for a bath..

lol....I know what you mean.  If I'm not shooting, them I spending a lot of time reloading......the more you shoot the more reloading you need to do.  I agree that multiple sticks is better than breaking in new barrels.
Bob

Reply #43
The past week has been busy but wanted to get the 6mm CM back out and see how it shot after the cleaning regiment that Grant proposed.  I was at the first race of the season over the weekend, got home Sunday night and then headed to the Benchrest practice sessions that we have on Monday morning.  This week was going to 600  yards, which I thought would be a good test.

I shot 30 rounds total.  The first 10 were sighters/foulers.  I then started shooting 5 shot groups.  I finished with a few extra sighters to check on some wind changes.  The first 5 shot group was 4.5".  The second group was 2" and the last group was 1 7/8"  For the practices, the pit just uses a ruler....so 1/16 is the most resolution they will provide.   I used a load that I had good results early in the barrel's like which was RL-23 and Bart's Infinity 105g bullets.  It appears that the barrel will still shoot well.  I did my normal cleaning and there were signs of build up so I think I'll definitely need to keep an eye on it.

I attached a photo from the race.....my little beast ran well....set fast time of day for both days.
Bob

Reply #44
Thanks for letting us know how it did bob.. 👍
Grant