Skip to main content
Topic: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel (Read 1103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Reply #45
From playing with the Berger Twist calculator, is seems like the 1:8 is right at the margin.  Temperature and elevation could move you across the line.  I am basically at sea level.....450 ft elevation.  The summer temps should not be a problem but the cooler winter temps may be an issue.  So like both Jerry and Dave indicated, 1:7.5 may be a better choice.

I was looking in the safe this afternoon and I think I'll put this project on hold for a bit.  I still have some 6mm CM work to complete, the Savage Elite Precision to finish breaking in and I have some matches to get ready for.  I really don't think I want the distraction of a new cartridge to work on until some of this other work gets done.  But I do see the 6.5-284 in the future.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #46
Wish I had your self control! 😂

Reply #47
Bob as far as elevations go were about the same.. 489 here.. the berger twist rate calculator as you mentioned for the 153.5 berger says its marginally stable at 2930 here.. 1.4 in a 8 twist.. i personally see no evidence of that.. with the faster twist you also have to consider rpm's.. get them up there around 300,000 and certain pills like to go poof.. lol. It also creates more pressure to my understanding.. things to ponder before you pull the trigger on the new barrel when you decide to..
Grant

Reply #49
Bob as far as elevations go were about the same.. 489 here.. the berger twist rate calculator as you mentioned for the 153.5 berger says its marginally stable at 2930 here.. 1.4 in a 8 twist.. i personally see no evidence of that.. with the faster twist you also have to consider rpm's.. get them up there around 300,000 and certain pills like to go poof.. lol. It also creates more pressure to my understanding.. things to ponder before you pull the trigger on the new barrel when you decide to..

I agree Grant.  The added twist does come at a cost.  The force to spin the bullet faster generally comes with a small in loss in MV and an increase in the torque felt on the rifle.  Do you really think that 2930 is possible ?  I was using 2830 for my data for the model.  In my case, the stability number drops further.  But it is good to know that you have not had any issue with 1:8.
Bob

Reply #50
In a cartridge that has a potential for accelerated barrel wear I'm not sure I'd want to run the big 150g+ bullets above the low 2800 node.

I'd like to get more than 600 rounds out of the barrel.
Dave

Reply #51
Dave my 6.5x284 has around 800 rounds down it. 650 of those was with a 147 gr. Eldm at 2970 fps.. 150 of them are with the 153 atips at 2930 fps.. my throat and lands are still in remarkably good shape.. every shot fired through the gun has been with reloader 23.. i got several cycles on my nosler brass and 3 or 4 cycles on the lapua brass im using.. no loose pockets or pressure signs.. its just where the gun wants to shoot..
Grant

Reply #52

I agree Grant.  The added twist does come at a cost.  The force to spin the bullet faster generally comes with a small in loss in MV and an increase in the torque felt on the rifle.  Do you really think that 2930 is possible ?  I was using 2830 for my data for the model.  In my case, the stability number drops further.  But it is good to know that you have not had any issue with 1:8.

The standard 284 case pushes 180 gr hybrids at 2830 all day long without effort. So.... 153 grs should run in the 2900s no sweat.

Reply #53
Dave my 6.5x284 has around 800 rounds down it. 650 of those was with a 147 gr. Eldm at 2970 fps.. 150 of them are with the 153 atips at 2930 fps.. my throat and lands are still in remarkably good shape.. every shot fired through the gun has been with reloader 23.. i got several cycles on my nosler brass and 3 or 4 cycles on the lapua brass im using.. no loose pockets or pressure signs.. its just where the gun wants to shoot..

I get it Grant, string/rate of fire has more to do with it than anything I think but the potential is still there.
Dave

Reply #54
Getting 2930 fps with a heavy bullet seems on the surface to make for a very competitive 1000 yard contender.  
Bob

Reply #55
That’s why I’ve been pondering it for the last several months. 😊

Reply #56
I think in a true bench gun like jerry or dave uses just to name a couple the 153 atips all tuned up in a 6.5x284 would be a contender at a 1000 yard match for the top spot.. i know mine got me a 2nd place finish at one of them spring matches i go to..
Grant

Reply #57
I decided to go old school with the new barrel..  ;D
I have about 500 of the old 140 amax bullets and thought i might as well shoot them up in this barrel.. so i loaded a 10 shot ladder (actually a 11 shot ladder) starting at 40.8 and ending at 42.8.. i think i started in the low 2700 node.. then at 41.6 and 8 is what i feel like is a half node.. then the low 2800 node from 42.4 to 42.8.. i shot the lader and it made a big hole except one round.. bugger hook malfunction.. i loaded 42.6 and had 2 touching and one out a 1/2 inch .. so loaded 42.4 and it was 3/4 inch group so i loaded 42.7 and they all touched.. windy as crap here today.. but i think their going to shoot good.. a pic of my numbers and my ladder group and my 42.7 group..
Grant

Reply #58
Yeah this dog will hunt.. 5 at 430 yards.. 7 to 10 mph wind at my back.. the orange dot is inch and a half
Grant

Reply #59
Well got me a 100 rounds of the 140 amax's loaded up today.. may have to pull 25 of them.. run out of h4350 in the jug i was using.. had to open a new one with a different lot number.. be a week or so before i know.. i was zeroing my pst gen 2 scope yesterday and after making adjustments and tightening the inner turret and putting the outer turret on and tightening it down my zero stop dissappeared.. lol.. something broke internally i guess.. its on its way to vortex..
Grant