Skip to main content
Topic: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel (Read 936 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Reply #30
bob i got home a little early this evening... decided to try the 153.5's one more time... loaded the best group i got from the other day with re 23.. then did a berger vld seating test... 40 off the lands showed the best group.. i then tested powder in .2 grain jumps on both sides...for 3 sets...best i could get was half inch groups... i wont be testing these heavy bullets any more in my creedmoor... will use them in the prc and 6.5x284...they have the ass to send them like they need to be sent...:)
Grant

Reply #31
I am throwing in the towel on these for the Creedmoor.  I went out and shot in near perfect conditions this morning and moved the target out to 300 yards to make it more telling.  The best I could do was around 0.5 MOA at that distance and I tried a lot.   Two of the better groups are attached.

To make myself feel better, I pulled out the 1:8 twist and shot the 135g A-Tips....same target,  same distance.  Didn't take long to see that I was better off with the lighter bullets.  Between these and the Berger 140g Hybrids, I think I have two very solid ways to go.

So I need to find something that will shoot all of these heavy bullets.  If I consider re-barreling the 1:7.5 CM with a 6.5-284, what twist would be recommended.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #32
i have too bob... i have a bunch of 140 gr. eldm's im going to work with in this new barrel...
Grant

Reply #33
I think they are perfect for a 6.5-284.

Reply #34
i agree jerry.. and the new prc... im guessing they was designed around the new kid on the block ... being the prc...
Grant

Reply #35
I think they are perfect for a 6.5-284.

I did some web searching for comparisons of the PRC versus the 284.  A lot of opinions.  There are a couple things pushing me to the 284 when doing a re-barrel of the Savage action
1) I can keep the same bolt face
2) A lot of good brass options
3) Proven track record.

So I will be giving James a call in a few days and see about getting a new barrel on the way.

Thanks Grant for starting this thread......helpful.
Bob

Reply #36
Bob i really like both cartridges.. but if i had to pick just one i would pick the 6.5x284.. i went with a shilen barrel on mine.. its been a good one and continues to be a good one.. your gonna enjoy that round..
Grant

Reply #37
I could see doing a 6.5-284 in heavy gun configuration for benchrest.

Reply #38
I could see doing a 6.5-284 in heavy gun configuration for benchrest.

Jerry, interesting that you say that.  The 6.5CM that I will be re-barreling was planned as my heavy benchrest gun.  It currently comes in at 19lbs 5oz.  Not necessarily heavy for some of the heavy guns I've seen but it was what I planned to use.  So I intend to keep it around that weight as I go with the 6.5-284 and use it for Heavy Gun matches. 
Bob

Reply #39
I got beat by a 6.5-284 in a HG class early this past summer and I haven’t been able to get it off my mind. 😂

Reply #40
I'm thinking of going with a 1:8 5R rfiling.  Think this is adequate for the heavy bullets or should I go faster to something like 1:7.5 or 1:7.  According to the Berger calculator, 1:8 is still stable but at the low end of what they would recommend.
Bob

Reply #41
Bob mine is a 1and 8 and it shoots the 153 atips nice.. i never did try the 156 berger eol bullets in it but i think it would shoot them good as well..
Grant

Reply #42
I think I'd try the slightly tighter (7.5) twist.

Not sure why but I think it may help. I seriously doubt it will hurt anything at the slower Creedmoor speeds.

I've got a 6 BRA Brux barrel in 7.25 twist and it loves the 106 Hunter's. It was a big part of winning that Two Gun Grand Aggragate in Elbow Lake last summer.
Dave

Reply #43
If you are asking about twist for the 6.5-284 with the heavy bullets, I think I would go with the 1:8. When that cartridge was popular, they frequently ran 140s with a 1:9. You will have zero problems pushing a 153gr bullet into the 2830 to 2960 range which will, or should, hold stability well past 1000 - unless you are shooting at sea level. (important consideration there)  Longer bullets are harder to stabilize, so if you think your going to be down in the 2700+ velocity area, then maybe 1:7.5. I prefer to use the slowest twist that will still stabilize the bullet slightly beyond the distance I will push it.