Topic: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Reply #15
Thanks Boomer!
[/quote]
Lmao

Reply #16
@ jvw2008 Jerry guided me to that node as well several years ago as well. Thanks Boomer!

Thanks Jerry for helping us all.  Boomer ???
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #17
👍

Reply #18
im not one to give up easy but im about to give up on shooting the 153.5 bergers in my new 6.5 creedmoor... ive tried 3 powders .. re 16, h4831 and re 23... they all apear to have a node around 2700 to 2730.. and will shoot 1/2 inch groups at a hundred but thats as good as i can get them... kept thinking i could close them up with seating depth changes but no dice... before i give up im going to try h4350 ... if that doesnt do better im going to fall back to the 135 atip's...
Grant

Reply #19
im not one to give up easy but im about to give up on shooting the 153.5 bergers in my new 6.5 creedmoor... ive tried 3 powders .. re 16, h4831 and re 23... they all apear to have a node around 2700 to 2730.. and will shoot 1/2 inch groups at a hundred but thats as good as i can get them... kept thinking i could close them up with seating depth changes but no dice... before i give up im going to try h4350 ... if that doesnt do better im going to fall back to the 135 atip's...

I can't seem to convince myself the 153.5s are the optimum weight the Creedmoor case but good luck.
Dave

Reply #20
im not either dave...but a guy doesnt know till he tries...
Grant

Reply #22
We tend to chase heavier bullets looking for higher BC and better TE (terminal energy), without enough consideration of realistically obtainable velocity with the Creedmoor case.  It’s easy to push a 140 gr bullet out of the muzzle at 2830 fps. You can do the same with a 147 gr bullet but more often than not the case and rifle are going to start to complain with the pressure required to get that bullet to that speed. The mid 2700s is a more realistic velocity to push that heavy of a bullet - at least in my experience.
Consider the following ballistic chart numbers:

140 gr ELDM.        147 gr ELDM

MV.                  2830                    2750
[email protected]           2297                    2247
[email protected]           2055                     2015

Mil drop
@ 750.                4.4                          4.8

ft-lb TE
@ 750                     1312                        1325

See my point?😊

Reply #23
I do see your point jerry.. im not having any trouble getting the 153.5 up in the middle 2700's.. i just cant get it to group well from the lower 2600's to the middle 2700'.. the way the groups looked in my ten shot ladders you would think that any charge would shoot good.. the 10 shot ladders just make about a 3/4 inch hole with all three powders.. i thought they maybe something wrong with my bedding job or something like that with the gun but it shoots the 140 berger hybrids really well..i got a few more things im gonna try with them .. if i cant get them down in the 3's I'll move on.. i really dont care how fast they are.. i just want them to group well..
Grant

Reply #24
I've always liked pushing a lighter bullet faster than using a heavy
bullet slower.
You get less time to target (less drop) and sometimes
about the same wind drift.
If you look at what's winning at F class or BR, it's not the
heaviest or highest B.C. bullets for that caliber.
And as others have stated, their is a "ideal" weight bullet for each case
and sometimes you can go too heavy for optimum use.

Reply #25
If they don't shoot well in the 6.5CM, it would be interesting to try them in the 6.5-284 and see if things improve.  Having tried both of the 153g options (Berger/Hornady) and not been successful in getting the results I would expect, I am leaning towards that this is too much bullet for the CM.  However, the Berger's did better and perhaps could still be made to work with more tuning....but I agree with the comments on speed and since the 140's work so well in the CM, why struggle with the 153's.
Bob

Reply #26
The reason i bought so many of the 153's is because they shoot great in my prc.. the 153 atips shoot great in my 6.5x284.. i just wanted to see if the creedmoor would handel them..
Grant

Reply #27
Today I loaded some more 153g Bergers that I hope to shoot this week.  I wanted to do two things.  First, see if I can duplicate the results for the load that I found from my initial development.  I found that 40.0g of H4350 worked well but it was a sample of one.  So I loaded up more of that.  This was with a 0.020 jump.  Secondly, I have found in the past with Berger Hybrids, that they have responded well with 0.011 jump, so I loaded some at this length as well.

Here is the group that I shot the best during my load development.....
Bob

Reply #28
Let us know how they do bob..
Grant

Reply #29
Let us know how they do bob..

It looks like I'll be able to get to the range on Thursday morning.  I will definitely let you know the results.  

I've been thinking that since I have 3 6.5CM's,  one with the faster twist barrel to shoot the heavier bullets, that I I could pull that barrel and put a 6.5-284 on it.  I believe that would meet my needs better and would not require me to find more room in the safe for another rifle.
Bob