Skip to main content
Topic: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel (Read 928 times) previous topic - next topic

New 6.5 creedmoor barrel

I ordered a 26 inch barrel off of james monday.. it was at my doorstep when i got home yesterday.. went with a mtu contour with a 8 twist. Pulled the 22 creedmoor barrel off my savage target action and screwed the new one on.. set the headspace and decided i might as well do a full bedding job before i put the barreled action in the orxy chassis.. from what i can see on the edges it looks like i got a good bed for the action to lay in.. will know in the morning.. I'll mount the scope and rail in the morning  and start my break in.. my intent is to shoot the 153.5 berger hybrids in this barrel.. hope it does well..
Grant

Re: New 6.5 creedmoor barrel

Reply #1
Got the rifle back together this morning.. bedding turned out pretty good.. got it all cleaned up and the barreled action bolted back into it. Scope and rail back on.. the new pipe cleaned and she's ready to shoot..  ;D
Grant

Reply #2
off to a ruff start with the new barrel... thought i would try re 16 first with the 153.5 bergers... shot about 25 of them with a few different charge weights and they looked like i was shooting a shotgun... lol finally put the magneto speed on just to see where i was at speed wise and i was at 2690...  switched to re 23 and groups tightened up quiet a bit but still not where i want to be... its early in the game but im not sure this bullet isnt too much for the creed... plan on trying a few more things tomorrow... mainly just putting rounds down it to get the barrel broke in and settled down ... i was starting to think something was wrong with the gun but i shot 5 rounds i had made for my other 6.5 and they made a raged hole so its not the gun...
Grant

Reply #3
Grant, I am anxious to see how this turns out for you.  I have been struggling with the 153g A-tip and have had similar results....I don't want anyone to see the targets they are that bad.   I've been only using RL-16 but I could try RL-23 if that seems to help.  I also have some H4350 I could use as well.  But I am hearing from some of the Benchrest boys that they are getting the 153g bullets to shoot in a CM so I don't want to give up yet.  You are running a 1:8 twist...that fast enough?  I'm running a 1:7.5 but getting the same results.

On the Bergers, I hear that they are either jammed or jumped a lot (> 0.030).  My plan to take the best load that gives me a MV around what I think should be good (2750ish) and then start working on seating depth.  Not sure how else to proceed.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #4
bob i feel like the 8 twist is enough.. (may be wrong) the holes in the paper are nice and round like its hitting the target perfectly square to it... i was loading them to fit in a mdt magazine and was having to jump .110 to fit the mag... i have a accurate mag that will let me seat alot longer ... so i will start testing alot closer to the lands tomorrow... the 23 made a big difference in group size...  closer to half inch but it would throw one out of five out..   plus these are just loads im pretty much picking out of the air... fireforming brass and just experminting really... i will find out tomorrow if the re23 is going to work... if it doesnt im going to go inbetween re 16 and re 23 and try h4831sc... i will have a better idea if the bullet is going to work tomorrow... if not i will fall back to the 140 hybrids
Grant

Reply #5
Just to give you some hope, I've been testing them at 200 yards lately. Shooting them out of my Savage LRP 26 inch barrel 1 in 8 twist, Lapua brass, Rl-16 and Berger 153.5s at jam -.005 for now and getting 5/8 to 3/4 inch groups. Only tested at that one seating depth found 3 nodes with OCW powder testing. Max powder with stiff bolt lift starting was 42.1g RL-16 my top load/node was 41.4g at 2703 av FPS. Lower middle node was around 40.5 at 2650 FPS. I want to try Bergers method https://bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/ and see what may happen next. Can't wait to test these at 1000 when BLM lifts the no shooting on Public Lands here right now. ( Fire Danger) Good Luck ... HB
As a young man they said your starting out in the machine shop as a Hambone. Here's a broom, scoop and wheel barrel. Those were some fun days.

Reply #6
thanks hambone for the information...
Grant

Reply #7
Did quiet a bit of testing on this today.. conditions are horrible.. wind from the northwest 18 to 25 mph..😁 im shooting toward the east.. did a 12 shot velocity ladder.. 2640's to 2760's.. showed to flat spots.. 2640 and 2760.. i exhausted both areas.. i cold get around half inch groups in the 2760 area.. never did see any pressure signs but at 44.7 gr of re 23 the case was full to the point of crunching powder once in awhile.. 44.2 shot pretty good and i thought i could tighten it up with seating but couldnt.. a number kept standing out at me on the paper that wasnt anywhere close to a flat spot.. that number was 2727 fps.. after all the other testing i done.. i loaded 3 at 43.7.. the charge that gave 2727 on the ladder.. it put 2 of them in the same hole and the 3rd a 1/4 inch left.. shows promise.. and will do a thorough testing in this area.. out of prepped brass right now.. will have to go to work on my cases now that i have a hundred fire formed to my gun.. i have hope with the heavies now.. 😁
Grant

Reply #8
Grant do you have any RL26?

Reply #9
I do have brett.. i know i can get some more speed out of this gun with 26 but you pay a price with that powder.. 😏 if i can get these pills to shoot good at 2730 i will be tickled pink.. and i think i can with re23 now..
Grant

Reply #10
bob i feel like the 8 twist is enough.. (may be wrong) the holes in the paper are nice and round like its hitting the target perfectly square to it... i was loading them to fit in a mdt magazine and was having to jump .110 to fit the mag... i have a accurate mag that will let me seat alot longer ... so i will start testing alot closer to the lands tomorrow... the 23 made a big difference in group size...  closer to half inch but it would throw one out of five out..  plus these are just loads im pretty much picking out of the air... fireforming brass and just experminting really... i will find out tomorrow if the re23 is going to work... if it doesnt im going to go inbetween re 16 and re 23 and try h4831sc... i will have a better idea if the bullet is going to work tomorrow... if not i will fall back to the 140 hybrids

Grant, I loaded up some rounds with the Berger 153.5g Hybrid and shot them today.

Peterson LRP brass
H4350
CCI BR-2 Primers
CBTO = 2.208 (0.020 jump)
COAL = 2.965
30" 1:7.5 twist barrel

I found a nice node a 2720-2730 fps with 40.0g of powder.  There was a lower node in the 2690 range but I didn't explore that very much.  I thought they shot well....better than I've done with the 153g A-Tip.

Bob

Reply #11
thanks for the information bob... work has kept me from working with mine any more this week... but it appeared to want to shoot good last weekend at that same speed...  funny how almost every rifle i shoot wants to run at 2730 , 2830 ,2930 or 3030... makes a guy scratch his head... i will learn more about my new pipe this weekend... hopefully have a load for it...
Grant

Reply #12
thanks for the information bob... work has kept me from working with mine any more this week... but it appeared to want to shoot good last weekend at that same speed...  funny how almost every rifle i shoot wants to run at 2730 , 2830 ,2930 or 3030... makes a guy scratch his head... i will learn more about my new pipe this weekend... hopefully have a load for it...

It is interesting that these nodes exist.  I know you guided me to the 2830 node for the 140g Bergers and sure enough, they shot very well there.  I was testing them at a 600 yard practice session on Monday and shot 3 5-shot groups.  The first was 1 3/8", the second was 2" and the last was 3 1/4"  and most in the 10 ring on a 600 yard competition target.   I was very happy with how they shot at 2830 fps.
Bob

Reply #13
i will give credit where credit is due... jerry guided me to the berger hybrids and the 2830 node...
Grant

Reply #14
i will give credit where credit is due... jerry guided me to the berger hybrids and the 2830 node...

@ jvw2008 Jerry guided me to that node as well several years ago as well. Thanks Boomer!
Dave