Skip to main content
Topic: RPR Barrel - Ouch (Read 1749 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RPR Barrel - Ouch

Reply #30
Capt,
Thank you and the other posters for this education.  Only a hunter and suspect I over clean.  OCD about buck of a lifetime presenting and rifle sh^*s the bed because it needs cleaning.  Will have a Teslong before Independence Day.  Would appreciate recommendations on model to purchase from this crew.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F&ved=2ahUKEwjmrKejpKPqAhWbK80KHbJTAI4QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0S5YSquYatDB_eROViAvor

Wayne, hope this link works.  This is the one I bought I use it with a laptop.  It says it works with Android but I didn't get the adaptor with it for my phone which I think is called "micro usb" (can't keep up with the ongoing changes in this tech world).

A word of warning; once you start looking at your bores you may be selling them...lol...scary stuff in some of them!

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #31
Have not changed my mind. The metal looks “better” with the cleaning but I think you have a couple areas of machining that look gouged out.

Reply #32
Trying another approach as to what I'm seeing - yea a video 8)

Looks to me like the two narrow ribs are the lands with the wider valley in between.

The attachment is a zip file when unzipped will be a .mp4 video

CaptMarine

Reply #33
Good video.. one thing to know is the teslong bore scope magnifies a bunch.. it will make a needle look like a 10 penny nail.. the wide area thats nice and clean is the highest parts of the bore.. that black rough looking stuff is down in the groves.. and its carbon.. hoppe's wont touch it.. i bet a dollar to a doughnut that if you had some jb bore paste and put it on a nylon brush and brushed the crap out of the first 4or 5 inches of the bore that all that will be gone and your barrel will look new again..
Grant

Reply #34
I'm not willing to say it's fine yet but I agree with Grant and think you still have some carbon to remove. Personally I'm hesitant to short stroke and reverse a brush in the lands.

I would take a .22 cal jag and put as big of patch on it as possible to still enter the bore then load it up with JB and short stroke the snot out of it. Like 40 strokes then replace the patch and JB again and give it 40 more then patching out and have another look.
Dave

Reply #36
Dave my smith suggested i use a nylon brush that had been used before on the 22 creedmoor.. and thats what i did.. took about 130 or 40 short strokes to get that hard carbon out but it came out with no ill effects to the bore that i could see.. a tight fitting patch may work even better.. just havnt tried that yet..
Grant

Reply #37
Good video dave.. thanks for posting that
Grant

Reply #38
A nylon brush should be fine especially if it was one caliber smaller.
Dave

Reply #39
Either I'm totally off but when I was a kid plowing fields for my grandpa the first pass left the "high land"......thus I have always called the high part of the rifling the lands and the grooves to me were the deepest part.  The guy in the film said that strip of black carbon was on the "grooves" .  Just a terminology thing but have I been wrong for close to 60 years?

Edit: yes good clip...i did 4 barrels like that his morning with both jag & nylon brush with patch wrapped on it.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #40
Brownells has the sole "rights" to the JB.  That's probably why I could find no reference anywhere to the "Uncle Eds bore paste".  I compared the two and could not tell a difference between them.  They also seemed to work exactly the same.
Fyi
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #41
Either I'm totally off but when I was a kid plowing fields for my grandpa the first pass left the "high land"......thus I have always called the high part of the rifling the lands and the grooves to me were the deepest part.  The guy in the film said that strip of black carbon was on the "grooves" .  Just a terminology thing but have I been wrong for close to 60 years?

Edit: yes good clip...i did 4 barrels like that his morning with both jag & nylon brush with patch wrapped on it.

I agree and wondered who else would notice about the lands.
Dave

Reply #42
Unless i misunderstood him he said the fouling was in the groves  didnt he?
Grant

Reply #43
@. Grant
Based on his first presentation that was not my understanding. In the last video the disrupted metal surfaces are clearly on the ramp of the lands and on down into the early rifling. With all the cleaning he has done, I just can’t see how that is cracked carbon deposits. Also the ramp on one of the lands appears to be almost non existent. My interpretation may be all wrong and I’m seeing groove and thinking rifling. It’s hard to orient when you don’t have the bore scope in your hands to get the machining depth perception.

Reply #44
@ jerry.. i will respectfully disagree.. the lands stand proud in the bore.. then you have the groves.. i think that ugly cracking is down in the groves and can be cleaned up.. very few factory barrels that i have seen have all the lands look perfect.. coustom barrels yeah but not factory barrels..
Grant