Skip to main content
Topic: RPR Barrel - Ouch (Read 1750 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RPR Barrel - Ouch

Reply #15
after looking at them pic;s on my lap top i will stand by my first reply.... i think that all cleans up and all is good... what powder are you using captmarine... alliant ?

I hope you're right Grant but it looks to me like all the ugly in the lands not the grooves.
Dave

Reply #16
All - I've done another cleaning using the only cleaning solution I've ever used - Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's Elite.  The only place I see the crude or damage is in the first few inches of the rifling.  The start of the lands are smooth and shinny.  Did notice some gouges in the bore section.  Only one area.  Attached is more pictures after the cleaning.  Disclaimer here: Round in chamber is NOT primed or loaded with powder.

For what it's worth I've only shot two boxes of Hornady factory rds. mostly as foulers and tried some load development with 147 gn ELD Match bullets and RL-16 (wanted something that was readily available).  Rifle has been idle since Dec. 2018.

I'm going to do some more scrubbing today to rule out any possibility of this being just crude, Gman could very well be correct as the rest of the comments and observations.

I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to look and help me out - I'll not take any comments personal and I know all of you just want to help.  My gratitude and thanks to all.
CaptMarine

Reply #17
Another pic
CaptMarine

Reply #18
Don't know if it's a before and after picture or just
farther down the bore.
Your 1st and 3rd picture looks good, the 2nd still has that bad
groove look and the 4th still looks a bit fouled yet.
Looks like machine marks, on the 2nd.
Your 5th or last picture looks fine also.

Reply #19
your barrel is fine capt... ditch the hoppes and get some pro shot lV  copper solvent or bore tech copper remover and bore tech carbon remover ... 2 different products of the bore tech stuff... it will do alot better job of cleaning your barrels than the hoppes stuff...
Grant

Reply #20
They are all the same area.  Bullet in chamber for reference of where the crude or craters are in relation to the barrel.  I have cleaned three times as of these (attached pics).  After latest cleaning.
CaptMarine

Reply #21
One more pic after latest cleaning.
CaptMarine

Reply #22
capt i assume your using a teslong bore scope... if you are you can turn the mirror part in or out to focus your pictures better...   i still say that is carbon down in the groves that will come out with some good solvents and alot of brushing just in that area.  
Grant

Reply #23
Capt,
Thank you and the other posters for this education.  Only a hunter and suspect I over clean.  OCD about buck of a lifetime presenting and rifle sh^*s the bed because it needs cleaning.  Will have a Teslong before Independence Day.  Would appreciate recommendations on model to purchase from this crew.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #24
One more pic after latest cleaning.

These pictures aren't quite as clear as the earlier pics. I'm starting to lean Grant's way though it looks like it's cleaning up.

Keep at it.
Dave

Reply #25
Did you ever say what powder you're burning?
Dave

Reply #26
Rl16 dave.. for what ever reason the alliant powders like to lay down hard carbon.. and it takes some work to get it out if you dont stay on top of it.. a lesson i recently learned...
Grant

Reply #27
capt i assume your using a teslong bore scope... if you are you can turn the mirror part in or out to focus your pictures better...   i still say that is carbon down in the groves that will come out with some good solvents and alot of brushing just in that area.  

Grant - right on on the teslong - thanks for the tip - the last picture 13_46_32 though somewhat out of focus, to me shows the start of the rifling then the crap or gouges riding on top of the two lands.  maybe wrong though - have been before.
CaptMarine

Reply #28
Rl16 dave.. for what ever reason the alliant powders like to lay down hard carbon.. and it takes some work to get it out if you dont stay on top of it.. a lesson i recently learned...

I agree about the Reloder powders. I just scoped 8 barrels and you could tell which on shot a fair amount of RL 16
Dave

Reply #29
I reverse my yesterdays diagnosis..these pictures  show the throat and lead ramps and they look good to me.  Most likely the three rough lands have been there since day one. 
It is possible that the throat starts engraving ok and it passes over the rough stuff  & conforms well for the rest of the trip. Low spots on the lands catch some carbon & copper but don't chew up the bullet.
Clean it some more and go see if it shoots.

Good luck
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith