Skip to main content
Topic: RPR Barrel - Ouch (Read 1737 times) previous topic - next topic

RPR Barrel - Ouch

I read on another forum about a borescope opening up a "can of worms" and I think that is what I have done for myself.  I have a RPR 6.5 Creedmoor with <80 rds down the tube.  Today I dug out my newly acquired borescope just to have a look at what it can tell me.

Now the ouch part. I think an Ouch anyway, not sure.  That's where hopefully you guys/gals will play a role in "do I have a problem or not"!  The attached photos will hopefully explain what I'm looking at "as not so good for me".  Looks to me like the lands are in bad shape in this barrel.  What do you think, should I go ahead and replace this barrel before I continue with load development or should I just go with it as it is?
CaptMarine

Re: RPR Barrel - Ouch

Reply #1
Photos continued
CaptMarine

Reply #2
Ouch is correct. If there are only 80 rounds down this then I think the problem started at the factory. You could probably talk Ruger into a replacement and sit and wait til they get done fiddling around only to end up with a second,  possibly second-rate barrel. It’s your dollars but for me I think you will be most rewarded doing load development on a top quality after market barrel. Still - it’s tough to drop $700 into a brand new rifle. Which way to go depends a bit on how quickly you want a .3 MOA rifle. My first RPR didn’t really start to perform until the action met a Bartlein 5 R barrel.

Reply #3
All i see in that barrel is carbon and copper in the groves.. the lands look good.. i would take some good carbon remover and copper remover and run a few wet patches through it and let it soak 15 or 20 minutes and take a brush to it several strokes and patch it out and have another look in there..
Grant

Reply #4
Certainly is ugly looking....worse than any savage I've looked at.  Is it all on the same land?  Appears like it was tore up by the tooling (button). 
Does it shoot?
A good cleaning may make it look better as Grant says but I would be very mistrusting of it forever if I saw that.  One of the reasons that maybe I shouldn't have bought the Teslong.  It certainly tells you why the better shooting barrels shoot good because they look good.  It also tells you when they are clean.
But seeing flaws can really get your mind spinning.

That being said a couple of "ugly" ones I have definitely shoot better than they look.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Capt I Hope Grant is correct but carbon and copper is not my take from your pictures. If you had not scrubbed it good before those pics - do so and let us have another peek.

Reply #6
I'm not that sure that's all carbon and copper. I would give it a severe down to bare metal cleaning though before I passed judgement on it either way.

This ties nicely into my foul your barrel in thread. Unfortunately that thread went right over everybodies head. It was NOT a barrel cleaning and was NOT a barrel cleaning frequency thread. It was a thread to evaluate where your best accuracy comes back after a cleaning.

I'd like to see some bore cam pics of some of these barrels with hundreds of rounds on them since their last cleaning. If I were trying to shoot a good group and hadn't cleaned in a while these images would be burned in my mind. Imagine putting all the effort into making your best ammo and blasting it into that mess.

@CaptMarine I'm not insinuating you don't take care of your equipment and I think you have more going on there than carbon and copper.  
Dave

Reply #7
Grant - I'll do another cleaning, but I can't see cleaning will get rid of the cracks and craters.  These pictures are the start of the lands from what I can tell and 3 are affected.

It is a hard pill to swallow to have to replace a barrel this early in the game so I'm game for any suggestions and will comply.  I'll send the photos to Ruger and see what they have to say about it.  Regardless to me it's just plain ugly.
CaptMarine

Reply #8
Grant - I'll do another cleaning, but I can't see cleaning will get rid of the cracks and craters.  These pictures are the start of the lands from what I can tell and 3 are affected.

It is a hard pill to swallow to have to replace a barrel this early in the game so I'm game for any suggestions and will comply.  I'll send the photos to Ruger and see what they have to say about it.  Regardless to me it's just plain ugly.

If it is carbon it's built up pretty heavy to have those "cracks & craters" and it's going to take some pretty aggressive cleaning in that area not just running patches through the bore.
Dave

Reply #9
Just to make sure, I'd give it a heck of a cleaning and then see what it looked like.
I've never seen a barrel like that. I MEAN SCRUB THE CRAP OUT OF IT.
You've got nothing to lose.
Is that the first couple inches or is that the way it looks half way down the barrel too?

Reply #11
Eric if the ramp in the lands are gouged as badly as they look, I don’t think even Tubb’s Bullets will make them function correctly. I’m anxious to see the pics after Capt does a good scrub in there.

Reply #12
In that first picture it appears the ramp of the lands are smooth and shiny.. that all the ugliness is down in the groves.. but maybe im not seeing things right.. if it were mine i would take some jb bore paste on a wore out brush and brush the crap out of the first 3 or 4 inches of the bore..
Grant

Reply #13

That part of the ramp is normally smooth & shiny after 80 rounds.
Being the ramp of the lands my guess is now that it was the reamer, chips or a combination. Are you sure all 6 aren't pretty much the same?   Maybe it could be throated a hair deeper to clean it up.  I estimated the fov of my Teslong mirror view at .200, also the lands are only about .004 high, looks like the "gouging" for the most part is .002+.  The std saami freebore is .199.  A estimated guess is that the throat would have to increase by .015 - .050 in order to clean up most of those ramps.

Curious what Ruger has to say.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #14
after looking at them pic;s on my lap top i will stand by my first reply.... i think that all cleans up and all is good... what powder are you using captmarine... alliant ?
Grant