Skip to main content
Topic: Savage 111  (Read 1598 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Savage 111

Reply #45
I'm using RL-23 and my first choice was/is the Berger 175 Elite Hunter. I run the 140 in my 6.5 Creed and had the 175 around 2925 fps and then the brass issue and truth be told some operator error got it off track. I also bought some 155gr Hammer Hunters that I worked up with RL-16. First charge weight was 3116 fps and I was super excited. Unfortunately number two was a stuck case so I've got to go back and download the next series a good bit.

Reply #46
Thanks boondoggle.. i think 23 is too slow for my 168 bullets.. i broke my barrel in with 184 bergers and the 23 worked good with them for a load i just throwed together.. seen alot of guys swear by rl19 and the 168's.. i have a couple pound of it so im going to give it a try..
Grant

Reply #47
Haven't heard of RL-19 on the 168 that's very interesting. Please keep us posted on how it works for you.

Reply #48
Well i thought i had 3 pounds of rl19.. i either cant find it or i gave it to my boy.. or he needed it worse than i did.. lol.. any way i may have made a little progress with rl17.. no idea on the speed yet but its a max load according to nosler.. will test a couple tenths over and under this charge .. best group by far that ive shot all day.. 3 at a 100 yards..
Grant

Reply #49
well i was all excited about getting my peterson brass for this gun the other day.. just knew i was going to be shooting bug holes with it last sunday when i started really doing load development with it... did my usual 10 shot velocity ladder and had a good wide flat spot at 2900 fps... so i load 5 in the middle of it and shoot a dang inch and a half group at a hundred yards... no biggie its got to be on one side or the other of the flat spot so i load 5 on the upper side of it and send them... another inch and a half group... ok its got to be on the low side... so i load 5 there and send them... a 2 inch group... humpf... i had another flat spot around 2830 so i load some down there and things didnt get better... so i load another velocit ladder and shoot it... showed the same flat spots... knowing it wasnt working in the flat spots i start loading in .3 tenths increases in powder between the flat spots with no luck... tried multiple seating depths and no improvement... 3 different powders and nothing... i start checking things on the brass and only difference i can find between the peterson and hornady was neck thickness and volume... i checked to see if i could drop a bullet in a fired case and couldnt... so im thinking my neck thickness is the problem so i turn a .001 off of 50 of them and tried again... little better results but not what i was looking for... so i load a few in the hornady brass and shoot a 1/2 inch group with very little load development... so i know its something with the peterson brass... got to be that neck thickness... necks on hornady cases measure .013 so i turned the peterson cases down to that last night and loaded 5 of them with a random charge just to see if it made a difference and sure enough with a clean cold bore the 5 rounds shot a half inch group... finally i think im on the right track... will do another velocity ladder tomorrow and see if i can get this thing to shoot... i will say one thing about the old action... its smooth as silk and cycling flawlessly...
Grant

Reply #50
I've said it before, you are like a badger on meat, you won't give up.
Nice you figured out what might be the problem.
That only comes with a ton of experience.
Now you have to turn a 100 pieces of brass.  :o 

Reply #51
My dad instilled that in me.. ( cant never did anything)
The 21st century lathe will make short work of the 100 cases.. the 284 winchester is at its best with .004 clearance and it looks like the 280 ai may be as well.. maybe its a 7mm thing...
Grant

Reply #52
Great to see some success.
I don't think people pay enough attention to the thickness of the necks. I think it's an area that can be tuned.

Reply #53
Great to see some success.
I don't think people pay enough attention to the thickness of the necks. I think it's an area that can be tuned.

Jerry and I were discussing this the other day and agreed it has potential.

We ladder test for bullets, powder, seating, primers & bushing size/neck tension. Neck thickness or chamber neck clearance as Grant just demonstrated obviously matters.
Dave

Reply #54
Dave turning them necks cut my group size more than in half.. but still didnt get my groups to what im accustomed to.. but I've narrowed it down to powder choice i believe now.. i exhausted the possibilities with rl23.. just isnt working.. nosler list h4831 as their most accurate powder.. and i have a pound of it.. so i shot just 3 rounds of it on the low end of their data and was under half inch.. gave me hope.. will test it good today and see what i come up with.. its possible that 1/2 inch is good as it gets.. but im going to do all i can to improve on that..
Grant

Reply #55
Persistence is paying off.. lol
Getting pretty close to being where i like.. not quiet the speed i was hoping for with the 4831 but accuracy is alot better.. got it where its making a big hole at a 100 and just shot these 3 at 430.. one to the right of my thumb and one to the left of it and the third just above it. Under inch and a half.. the rain run me back in the building but i will tweak around on it some more..
Grant

Reply #56
Well after alot of struggling and thinking i had it figured out to find out i didnt i think i finally got this 280ai shooting like it should.. i could get it to shoot pretty decent at a really low node but anytime i tried to get it even close to max loads according to the reloding manuals it would open up to inch to inch and a half groups.. frustrating im telling ya.. was about ready to use it as a tomato stake.. well the other night i was looking the lug area over with a pin light and i could see light shining between the recoil lug and the chassis.. thought that cant be good so i took it abart and bedded the recoil lug with jb weld.. the old bolt was striking the primer off center as well and i could see the back of the bolt kick sideways just a bit when the firing pin fell so i also put a new bolt in it.. that took care of that problem.. now the gun is printing pretty good on the upper end with a 168 berger at 2900 fps.. its repeating itself now so i think i finally got it.. heres a 5 shot group at a 100 without playing with seating yet..
Grant

Reply #57
Grant that's another group to send Jim at NSS!
Just plain nice!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #58
Thanks randy... this one tried my patience... lol.. but learned some things in the process...
Grant

Reply #59
Well i didnt like the gray molding after all.. too much of a bluish hew to it.. so i got a can of anodized bronze and painted them.. couple clear coats of lacquer and looks lots better..  :D
Grant