News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Savage 111

Started by gman47564, May 26, 2020, 07:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

A while back I played with a couple of old 3 screw triggers.  I eliminated the "spring wire"  return spring and replaced it with a coil spring adjusted by the "overtravel" screw.  The major diameter of the 6-32 screw is .138. The spring I used was actually a Savage extractor spring (aprox. .140 diameter).  I drilled out about 1/2 of the threaded hole with a 9/64 inch drill bit. Which basically knocked the high edges of the threaded hole off enough to allow the spring to slide in easily.  When finished it adjusted just like the single stage Timney or Rifle Basix. Depending on the sear and the side "slop" (which I shim out if necessary) the "modified" 3 screws adjust down just as good as the aftermarket.  One actually seems lighter after all the slam fire checks.
I use a  "pretty pinkish" colored nail polish that my wife gave me nearly 20 years ago. Don't tell my friends....lol
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

@mnbogboy

I'd forgot about that Randy. Then and now I think it's a genius idea!
Dave

mnbogboy

Also on one I removed the roll pin and the other was "cast" (believe they are sintered iron) with a protrusion for the spring wire to "catch" on.  On that one I "annealed" that area so I could cut that lump off.  The lighter the metal in the trigger is the quicker they will react to the return spring. 
Now I'm thinking if I remove a little more material I can get them to reset quicker and maybe lighter....mmm
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

just seen on accurate shooter that peterson was making 280 ai brass now... that has made up my mind for the barrel for this action... :)
Grant

gman47564

well i ordered a barrel today... got a 26 inch varmint contour criterion match grade chambered in 280 ai... should have it by the middle of next week... then will take it to my smith to have it threaded for a brake...that may take another week so maybe in a couple weeks i will have a barrel screwed on this action... gotta decide on dies and brass now... bullets as well... thinking in the 160 to 170 range for bullets.. also not sure i want it in this mtd chassis... hate the buttstock thats on it and it would be 250 to 300 for the butt stock i like or i can get another orxy chassis for 400 and i like them better... decision decisions...
Grant

Darkker

Nicely done gman.

Savage had several "unofficial" things leave the factory, such as a small shank WSM line.
They also changed the action screw spacing on long actions a couple times, and the screw spacing can also tell you if it's center or stagger feed.

Cheers
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

gman47564

was like christmas when i got home this evening.... my 280 ai barrel was on the porch... along with a vortex razor i got off accurate shooter and a redding hunter competition die set for the 280ai... really nice looking set of dies...  getting closer to being in the 280 ai business... :)
Grant

DHuffman

I've got a 280 AI hiding under the bed and a 7 mag in the closet. That 6.5-284 I usually hunt with in the fall is about out of ammo I think, may have to work up a load for one of my 7s this fall.
Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on June 03, 2020, 08:20:28 PMwas like christmas when i got home this evening.... my 280 ai barrel was on the porch... along with a vortex razor i got off accurate shooter and a redding hunter competition die set for the 280ai... really nice looking set of dies...  getting closer to being in the 280 ai business... :)
Grant last week you didn't have the barrel yet when I thought you would be trying out....now you got the barrel, the dies, I know you have powder....do you have bullets?.....
Looking forward to a range report after breakfast!
Or I guess we can look at NSS for another nice looking group....????
Glad you got all your stuff....i got 2 orders coming from uncle Larry that got delayed somehow.  I assume going through St. Louis, Illinois and Mpls. that the "demonstrations" may have caused them.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Ranger 188

Randy, Grant wants to be the first person to own a rifle in
every caliber know to man.
The person with the most toys wins.  ;)

gman47564

Randy im waiting on brass.. dont have it.. dont have the bullets i want for it yet either...gotta take the barrel to my smith saturday to have it threaded for a break.. so im still a little ways out yet..
Grant

gman47564

Quote from: Ranger 188 on June 04, 2020, 12:03:52 AMRandy, Grant wants to be the first person to own a rifle in
every caliber know to man.
The person with the most toys wins.  ;)

Doing this stuff keeps me out of the bars and taverns.. cant afford both.. ????  4 years sober now.. but got lots of guns to curb the desire...
Grant

gman47564

Took my barrel to southern indiana precision yesterday and had isaac franks thread the end for a break.. he called this morning and said it was done.. glad he likes me.. lol so went and got it.. come home and screwed it on my action.. waiting on brass and bullets still.. went ahead and ordered a orxy chassis for it.. may be a few weeks on it.. but will put it in the mtd stealth chassis till it gets here.. may be shooting it by next weekend  :D
Grant

DHuffman

You will appreciate the brake. The 700 LA with a Sendero contour barrel I have has a little kick to it.
Dave

gman47564

Dave im not sure i know what you mean when you say a sense to contour barrel
Grant