Skip to main content
Topic: Savage 111  (Read 1487 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage 111

Learned something today .. my friend dave educated me.. a savage 111 long action isnt always a long action.. apparently for a few years savage made everything on a long action.. including short action cartridges.. they just didnt open the bottom of the action up as long for the short action cartridges..
Last week i picked up a used 111 action with the intent of building something like a 280 ai or 25-06 or something like that.. well i got the action today and even though it a long action its not going to work without some modifications.. so im going to try my hand at modifying it.. im going to open up the bottom of the reciver to accept my aics long action magazine.. i mounted the action in a mdt stealth chassis i have and took a sharpie and painted the part of the action that needs to be removed.. im going to take a 4" grinder and remove the bulk of it and then a dremel and clean it up.. 😏😏
Grant

Re: Savage 111

Reply #1
You can do it!
Dave

Reply #2
Right down my alley!😁
I drilled & tapped one between your Sharpie mark and the rear action screw.  So they are not exceptionally "hard".   If I was doing it I might start with a hacksaw at the rear of your Sharpie mark. Maybe it would help on the "rough in". 
Good project.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
A few years ago as Grant said,1988 - 1997 Savage made only one centerfire action. It was a long action body but in a short action gun they made the magazine cutout shorter.
The baffle directly behind the bolt head also had an extension on it to shorten up the bolt travel.

I've had one of these actions for several years and early on decided it was a POS! It bound up about half way through the bolt stroke and was miserable to run. I was convinced the bolt body was bent. One day I was going to make a single shot LR gun out of it and pulled the attached magazine box off the bottom of the action. The action immediately ran like a $1,500 Borden 😲 it was the feed lips on the attached magazine box that was making it run like crap.

Anyway for tinkerers like myself, Grant and Randy they are a good option for build material. I'm pretty sure when Grant put's it in a chassis and runs the AICS mag with the nice feed lips it will run like butter.
Dave

Reply #4
Here is a couple more mods id consider if it were mine Grant. I'd buy the new style BAS (bolt assembly screw) with the hex/Allen head from Gunshack then I'd get a hold of Grimstod on AS (Ben) and  send the bolt and the new screw to him. Ask him to Bush the bolt head, install his bolt lift kit and fit the new BAS to it. His prices are more than reasonable and his service is fast.

The lift kit obviously improves the bolt lift, not to miracle light status just makes it nicer. The Bush job may or may not be necessary but anything that improves ignition improves accuracy plus you won't be showing us pictures of your cratered primers when you get that .280AI running close to 7mag speeds. The new screw is not necessary but looks nicer and the Allen head is much easier to deal with than that jumbo flathead screwdriver slot. 

Ben is not a fan of the 6.5 Creedmoor but I don't hold that against him.
Dave

Reply #5
I may just do that dave.. im not a fan of that slotted screw either.. im going to work on all that stuff myself to start with.. and once i get it royally screwed up then i may send it to him.. 😁
Grant

Reply #6
I had to modify the ramp angle on one of my actions when I installed it into the MDT chassis.  I used an air-powered die grinder with a carbide bit and then polished it with some fine grain paper.  Turned out pretty good.  But the pneumatic die grinder worked well for taking out material.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #7
You won't regret letting Ben tune your bolt up. Part of the bushing job is trueing the bolt face and he tries up the bolt lugs while he's at it.
Dave

Reply #8
And now its a long action.. 😁😁😁
Ground out what i needed with a new 41/2" grinding wheel then took my dremel with a carbide bit in it and cleaned it up good.. little emery cloth and smoothed out the sharp edges and put it in the stock and the aics slid in and latched like it should.. put the bolt in it and closed it and squeezed the trigger and couldnt.. lol
 The trigger shoe was against the inside of the chassis.. so i had to open that hole the trigger shoe fits through up some and then it worked.. then had to put a short baffle behind the bolt head to lengthen the stroke of the bolt as dave had said i would need to.. put a 284 win cartridge in the mag and slid it in the chassis and the bolt raked it right out of there.. woo hoo.. while i had the action out working on it i screwed around on all 3 screws the old style trigger has and dont know how i did it but it breaks like glass with the slightest touch but still holds banging the gun around on the butt and also racking the bolt hard.. again.. woo hoo.. no i gotta decide on a barrel and butt stock.. may go with the same xlr butt stock that i have on the green hornet as i like it alot..
Glad shes coming along as good as it is.. 🙂
A couple pics..
Grant

Reply #9
Send all future work to;     Grant's Gunsmithing

Reply #10
I wouldnt advise that gregg.. its crude and caveman techniques.. lol
Grant

Reply #11
You should be shooting it by midnight!
At least take it out back and poke a couple over the mag speed...lol
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #12
I dont have a barrel for it yet randy..lol.. well i do but not any that im wanting to put on it..
Grant

Reply #13
I wouldnt advise that gregg.. its crude and caveman techniques.. lol
A caveman is Grants Pass Oregon's mascot.
Caveman Gunwerks
I see a Tee shirt in the making.
Looks like you have plenty of room in that magazine for more bullet.

Reply #14
It all looks good Grant.

A word of caution on that trigger put some nail polish on those screws. If it's light it won't take much for it to get where it random discharges if the screws don't stay put.
Dave