News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

A beautiful thing!!!

Started by gman47564, February 04, 2020, 09:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Quote from: dadajack on March 25, 2020, 10:06:17 AMThe only thing holding me back from getting a larger case for the 6.5 is just barrel life. I have this mental block against anything I see as being much more overbore than the Creed. 7mm08 is just about perfect for performance and barrel life imo. Now, if we could just get some straight wall precision rifle cartridge development, that would be amazing! :))

With some of the new 6.5 bullets available I'm starting to think about a 6.5 Creedmoor AI throated out long or the 7-08 AI necked down to 6.5 without checking any case volumes this would be getting into the .260 capacity area I'm sure but it would be interesting to see what a Creedmoor with a 40* shoulder and a long throat would do.
Dave

DHuffman

Case capacities according to Gordon's Reloading Tool

52g 6.5 Creedmoor
55g .260 Rem
55.3 7-08 Rem
56.8 7-08 AI (my gun actual measured case volume)
66.3 6.5-284 Norma

Looking at the numbers a .260 AI would be be the easiest taking available dies into consideration.
Dave

rardoin

I know a couple of SE Texas guys that loved their .260 AI for the great velocity, case longevity, and ease of tuning.

DHuffman

My Smith has a reamer. I'm giving it some thought.
Dave

gman47564

Not the most accurate cartridge I've loaded but they sure are perty..????
280 ai in peterson brass with a 168 berger vld sittin on top
Grant

gman47564

Aren't they cute!!!    Vicious little buggers but cute as a bugs ear..????

204 ruger with a 40 gr. Vmax doing 3900 at the muzzle.. bad medicine!!!
Grant

bikemutt

Geez, you could pick off MN mosquitoes with those :)
Chris

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on October 29, 2020, 03:14:12 PMAren't they cute!!!    Vicious little buggers but cute as a bugs ear..????

204 ruger with a 40 gr. Vmax doing 3900 at the muzzle.. bad medicine!!!

Nice !!  It sure is a fun round.

I shot my 204 Ruger the past week with 32g Sierra's....the LabRadar gives up at anything over 3900 fps.....so don't know the exact MV....but it sure was fun to shoot.  After loading the CM's, I almost got out the tweezers to hold the bullet to put them into the seating die.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

jvw2008

Amazing to me that bullet doesn't just go poof!

What twist rate?

gman47564

mine is a 12 twist jerry...

bob they are tedious to load after being use to the 6.5's and 7 mm's... little bitty funnel to fill the cases... but they are fun to shoot and accurate as heck...
Grant

autoxforfun

I believe the Savage is 11:1 or maybe 12:1.  I have a 9:1 barrel in the safe for when I shoot this one out.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

mnbogboy

Quote from: bikemutt on October 29, 2020, 03:33:55 PMGeez, you could pick off MN mosquitoes with those :)
Only if shot placement is right.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Grant what powder?  In my fireball I've used 4198 &
 lil gun.  The lil gun was fussy at top charge and it (& me) was the source of my first blown primer.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

These little dasher rounds are pretty enough to bring this old thread back from the dead
Grant

Ranger 188

Someone is getting ready to send some copper and lead down range...