Skip to main content
Topic: Latest projects (Read 501 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Latest projects

Reply #15
your probably right dave... i figured if you locked the nut on the barrel with the jb weld then the nut would act like a shoulder...but very well may not... im not going to find out...lol...
Grant

Reply #16
You do double jam it and let the JB harden in the nut threads. For re install use an action wrench and barrel vise. You loose the advantage of the adjustable nut because you just converted it into a permanent shoulder specifically for that action.

Reply #17
Sounds good in theory so how do you get the nut set at the correct head space without tightening the nut and double jamming all those threads to do it???

i wouldnt tighten the nut super tight... set the head space then just snug the nut... let the jb weld set up then the nut is fixed... break the barrel loose and take it off.. then you should be able to screw it onto that same action and the head space should be right.... now you couldnt screw it onto a different action... it wouldnt be head spaced for any other action.. 
Grant

Reply #18
You do double jam it and let the JB harden in the nut threads. For re install use an action wrench and barrel vise. You loose the advantage of the adjustable nut because you just converted it into a permanent shoulder specifically for that action.

exactly
Grant

Reply #19
your probably right dave... i figured if you locked the nut on the barrel with the jb weld then the nut would act like a shoulder...but very well may not... im not going to find out...lol...

It may work but it's not going to be as easy to get the headspace set and the nut locked as it sounds.

Will the JB hold? I don't know but I think there's a pretty fair chance not considering how thin it will be between the threads. Getting the nut positively locked up would make it work. Getting the headspace right while keeping enough JB in the threads while the JB was in the right stage to get the best bond would be the trick I think.

I think putting a set screw in the nut, setting the headspace and tightening the nut would be way easier but I think I'd have to drill through the hole in the nut and make a dimple in the barrel for the screw to engage before I trusted trying to take it off. Then it's a one action barrel like a shouldered.
Dave

Reply #20

By all means give it a shot 😂
Dave

Reply #21
I see this same idea on other forums occasionally. If I were going to do it I'd drill the hole and use a set screw into a dimple. Then you could still set it up on another action jamming the nut if you wanted.

Edit, this idea puts the faith of the whole thing staying tight on a set screw, maybe not such a good idea.
Dave

Reply #22
I agree with everyone's ideas in theory and think it might even work 1x but I doubt the integrity of the JB bond to repeat it multiple times.
Dave

Reply #23
i personally  wouldnt try it... i like the ability to pull a barrel off and screw it on a different action... as far as the jb weld holding... i dont think you could get it off there if you wanted after it set up providing the threads were good and clean... years ago i had a saw that the muffler bolts had striped out the threads on... i got the bright idea to but a dab of jb weld down in the holes the bolts went in and then snugged the bolts up the best they would... about a year later the guts broke in the muffler rattling around and loud as heck... i bought a new muffle and went to take the old one off.. all 3 of the bolts broke off just outside of where the jb weld was...lol...
Grant

Reply #24
By all means give it a shot 😂

You know me well enough to know I would not go there without knowing it was a solid option. I’m a barreled shoulder guy. Always have been and will not dabble with the nut. I even have a Savage action that has a shouldered barrel because I didn’t want a nut on the after market barrel. I’m sure it is convenient and works well for other shooters. It’s just something I have chosen to detour around.

Reply #25
You know me well enough to know I would not go there without knowing it was a solid option. I’m a barreled shoulder guy. Always have been and will not dabble with the nut. I even have a Savage action that has a shouldered barrel because I didn’t want a nut on the after market barrel. I’m sure it is convenient and works well for other shooters. It’s just something I have chosen to detour around.

I've seen you, you're not barrel shouldered 😂🤣😂
Dave

Reply #26
True!

Suspect you knew I meant “shouldered barrel”.

🙄

Reply #28
A true shouldered barrel might be Stacy Abrams, the round mound of sound.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith