News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

338 RCM or 358/6.5 PRC

Started by Cold Trigger Finger, October 08, 2021, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm going back and forth in my mind on which way to go.
 Since shortness of barrel is a priority.  I have been thinking about getting a 375 Ruger and chopping it down. Have an inch long muzzle brake put on and a 1 to 4 scope. And a Ching Sling.
 It may be overkill for some thing's. But I could probably get 2700 fps from a 250 gr TTSX bullet. Which would do nicely.
 As I already have dies and brass and ammo. That would be a savings .
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Denver Steve

Short barrel 375 gets my vote. It's on my "rifles I need to have" list.

Cold Trigger Finger

Speer shows Rl 16 giving over 3,000 fps with a 270 gr bullet.
 That is with a 24" barrel, But that is still almost stupid fast. Even if it lost 45 fps per inch, that would still produce 2640 fps from a 16" barrel. With a 270 gr bullet, that's really good.

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Cold Trigger Finger

Seems that 375 Ruger Guide Gun/Rifles and Alaskans in right hand are now made from unobtanium.

Denver Steve

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on October 11, 2021, 11:13:10 PMSeems that 375 Ruger Guide Gun/Rifles and Alaskans in right hand are now made from unobtanium.

Need to move to Canada. Quite a few Ruger m77's in most variants are available. Way cheaper for the left hand version though and way easier to find the left hand for some reason. Old stock I guess.

LeadHammer

Those things sound painful.  I have been shooting my Muzzleloader the last two days. Miss the little 6.5 recoil....or lack of.
250 grain SST's @ 2044fps.
One of those Guide guns or a big lever would be fun though.

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: LeadHammer on October 13, 2021, 02:12:01 PMThose things sound painful.  I have been shooting my Muzzleloader the last two days. Miss the little 6.5 recoil....or lack of.
250 grain SST's @ 2044fps.
One of those Guide guns or a big lever would be fun though.

For some strange reason, Ruger attached tthe Guide Gun name to what they should have called the guide Rifle. 20" barreled M77 Mk 2 Hawkeye with laminate , adjustable lop stock with banded sling eye on the barrel, express sights and a muzzle brake or weight or thread protector.
 They really are a great rifle that is almost short enough.
 I don't regret trading the one I had for the 416 Remington built on a rebored 375 H&H , Interarms Whitworth Express and brush nickle plated. I Really like that rifle. But it has a 25+" barrel with the muzzle brake on it. And is peep sighted.
 It is a brown bear rifle !
 What I'm after now is a knock about large game Carbine. Similar to a Ruger Gunsight Scout . But in a serious cartridge.

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: Denver Steve on October 11, 2021, 11:34:11 PMNeed to move to Canada. Quite a few Ruger m77's in most variants are available. Way cheaper for the left hand version though and way easier to find the left hand for some reason. Old stock I guess.

There are lots of left hand 375 Ruger's available on GB and other sites.
 If this craziness would stop, Ruger could go back to making sporting rifles instead or every form of high cap sprayer ever thot up.
 It's a sad commentary that for the masses they need a long range basically , Target rifle to hit anything even at 200 yards.
 Anything under 400 as far as game shooting is the realm of normal , halfway accurate hunting rifles.

mnbogboy

With the blood thinners I've been taking the word "thump" scares me!
My shoulder is multicolored fromshopting  my 6.5-06 last week
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Cold Trigger Finger

Muzzle brake !
 The 375 Ruger Guide Gun with the muzzle brake on it was very easy shooting. Comparitivly speaking.
  As soon as I've spent another 10 grand on the house. Maybe I'll have enough for another rifle. But only after I get another couple bricks of large rifle magnum primers.

Cold Trigger Finger

I wonder how a 416/ 6.5 PRC would preform velocity wise with a 300 gr TSX bullet . From a 16.5 " barrel.
 That would be handy