Skip to main content
Topic: Sighting in a 6.5 hunting Rifle ???? (Read 11934 times) previous topic - next topic

Sighting in a 6.5 hunting Rifle ????

Hey everyone as you can see im new to the forum! I recently purchased my wife a bergara b-14 hmr 24' barrel in 6.5 creedmoor.
I have always wanted a 6.5 for myself however I figured if I buy the wife one for hunting season afterwards when season is over I can use it as a target rifle as well! I want to zero in this rifle so she can practice with it and use it this hunting season.
She hunts on a sender here in Texas and a normal shot is about 120/135 yards away from her blind. The sender goes back as far as 150yards then you enter low brush/trees. The Ammo I am setting her up with will be Hornady American whitetail 6.5 creedmoor 12grains.

I looked up the trajectory data for the 129grain sst bullet and I came up with

If I dead zero at 100 she would be about 2.5" - 3" low at 200
So at 150 she would be about 1.5" low

If I sight her in at 1/2" to 1" high at 100 she should be within 1"-2" out to 150"

Im looking for a happy medium for her I guess you can say

100" to a 135" yard shot  what would you Zero her in at?

I cant wait until the rain stops here so I can get out and see how well this round does down range.

Thanks

Re: Sighting in a 6.5 hunting Rifle ????

Reply #1
6.5TxCreed,
First, welcome to the forum . An awesome repository of all things Creedmoor.  Number 2.  Zero 1.5 inches high at 100.  Good to 200 with no adjustment.  Tell her to hold just below the spine at 300.  Toast.  I have been down this road a couple of times with two lady hunters.  They are both one shot deadly out to 300.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #2
Thank you for your response.

Great idea!   I figured I would ask you guys on here before doing this because I'm not really familiar on how flat ceiling this round is .
I will most certainly  take into consideration what you said thank you.

Reply #3
i threw a quick table together just to give you a little more insight. let me know if you want any variables changed at all. hope it helps out a bit. and hope the attached pdf file i made it into works out. first time attaching a pdf file to post.

Reply #4
i threw a quick table together just to give you a little more insight. let me know if you want any variables changed at all. hope it helps out a bit. and hope the attached pdf file i made it into works out. first time attaching a pdf file to post.

Awsome thank you Steve

Reply #5
no problem man. always willing to help anyone out on the forum if im able to. great group of people we have on here.

Reply #6
no problem man. always willing to help anyone out on the forum if im able to. great group of people we have on here.

I totally agree from what I have read through the threads that I have seen!

Reply #7
That is good ammo you chose also. I took a heavy 9pt last year with the American whitetail ammo. The Hornady interlock to me is one of the best whitetail bullets ever made, and they seem to be accurate in everything I've tried.